Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Head is Spinning

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 327 Total Views

My kids (6 1/2 & 4) have been unschooled from the start. We enjoy it very much and I wouldn't have it any other way! I have been a single mom for the past year and we have really enjoyed our time as a close knit threesome :-) Well, I am currently seeing someone who has two kids of his own (13 and 4). Things have progressed to the point that we are talking about moving in together and getting married. He had already planned on homeschooling his youngest but now his oldest is expressing that she'd like to be homeschooled as well. I couldn't be more excited about the idea of a houseful of self-guided learners! It is something that I have always envisioned for my family and I'm thrilled at the opportunity to realize that vision! But still....my head is spinning!

I'm not worried about the 4 year old- I've got that down. LOL. But the 13 year old is a bit intimidating. She's very bright and she's been in a public school that's less than awesome so she's never really had to apply herself. I have faith that after a period of deschooling she'll get into the swing of things. But I'm still a bit worried. I want to give her- all of our kiddos- an interesting, supportive, and encouraging atmosphere. Any tips of piquing the curiosity of wide age ranges? Any suggestions for young teen girls specifically? THIA!!! 

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Mommyfish831
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I am definitely out of my zone of knowledge here.  My kids are 6, 4, and 2 and I haven't starting homeschooling yet (unschooling seems very appealing to me, it's what I'd like to do) but you should just watch her and see wha she likes while your in your deschooling process and I'm sure you will see how you can help her.  Sorry m no help at all.  Actually I am still trying to understand and really really get unschooling.  

My high school experience was similar to unschooling and I loved it but I just am having a hard time getting out of the box that I need to teach my kids this and this and do it at the right age.  Mostly I'm worried about reading, writing and math, because those are things I think people need in order to get along in life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)