Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to homeschool or not to homeschool

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 319 Total Views
I have really been thinking about it lately. I am just not sure If me or the kids will like it and don't want to start something If I have doubts ya know... My kids have to move to a different school next year because theirs is closing so I am thinking of starting homeschooling with the understanding between me and the kids that if it doesn't work out then after Christmas they will go back to school. My kids will be Kindergarten, 2nd grade, and 4th grade next year. anyway do you think it's bad of me to try it then send them to school half way through the year if it is not working out?! need some opinions?
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Not a bad idea in itself but I would urge you to "try it out" for a full year. If you make xmas your deadline, you're only giving it a go for a few months. The first few months are ALWAYS a learning period for mom and kids. You'll find that some of your curriculum choices don't suit you and the children, you may find that your method isn't working, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Dawn07
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM
What the pp said is true. It took the first half of my daughters kindergarten year to figure out where she was and her learning style. Once we figured things out it got a lot better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Quoting Dawn07:

What the pp said is true. It took the first half of my daughters kindergarten year to figure out where she was and her learning style. Once we figured things out it got a lot better.

Bingo.

While I've been doing this a few years and I know my oldest's learning style and I'm confident in our choices for curriculum for HER, I'm starting this next fall with a kindergartner as well - and I fully expect that we will have to make changes around next xmas.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

oahoah
by Helping Hands on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Personally I think if you go into something half-hearted it isn't going to work.  I think you have to examine your reasons for wanting to homeschool and it doesn't sound like you really want to do it.  For my family it was a heart/God decision and it has been 2 1/2 years of hard work and lots of tears. But also a lot of joy and closeness as a family. The thing is that I know why we are doing this and that is the core of everything for us. I only wish I had done it sooner. Good luck with your decision.

JadeTigr7
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Like the PP said, this isn't something you go into halfway.  It's a major committment.

The first year is almost always the hardest, and there could be many adjustments.  Heck I'm into my 5th year of homeschooling, and I'm still adjusting curriculum as my younger kids start joining in so that it works for all of us.

This is something you really need to sit down and think about and see if you're willing to put in the committment needed to be responsible for your children's education. 

simplysarahd
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Before you take the jump, if you have people in your life who homeschool, visit with them first. Ask them questions and pick their brain. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)