Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to Homeschooling!!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 241 Total Views

Just started homeschooling this week and its been a challenge trying to get him ajusted to life at home with School work??!! Just trying to figure out what really needs to get done thru the day and how to start the day and end with a good day?? Anyone??

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
HerLadyGrey
by Testing the waters on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Give him some time to decompress from institutionalized education. I would start with some tests to see where he is at and if there are in holes in his education.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Make a plan and try it out.  What grade is your son in?  With my kids ages 7,6,4,3, and 2, we do circle time- pledge, Months of the year, days of the week and what day it is.

Then we move on to Math- right now we are working on numbers through 20 and addition (my 7 year old is doing triple digits, 6 year old double digits and my 4 and 3 year olds are getting the concept of adding with pictures and single digits.)

Then we move on to reading- I read the younger 3 a story and then they get to do worksheets or play (thier choice), the older girls work alone till I am done then one of them will work on the computer (we use k12) and the other will have a day where we work together. 

After reading we do science or history.  In Science we are learning about plants.  All the children come together for that and I give them each different age appropriate activities.  We all planted a garden.  In history the kids 6 and under are learning about the countries of the world.  My 7 year old is learning about ancient history currently ancient Egypt. 

We are done by lunch time on most days.  If the older two have been slacking then they will work through naptime after lunch.  All my kids are required to take a nap for 2 hours a day.  If they do not sleep they can read a book but they have to be quite and stay where I put them alone for that time so we can all come back refreshed.

rlaj04
by Testing the waters on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM

My son is 9 yrs old 3rd grader. I have a daughter 14 but she still attends public school. I have started off with curriculums from Mardels. A sweet lady helped me there. We have Reading, Math, English, Spelling and Good citizenship! So we have started out doing a split schedule each day. I have him English and spelling one day with a book on his own, then we have a book we share reading. Then next day we will do Math n Reading. Each day he does book reading on his own after lessons, we also start day with Calendar board.We add science n history each day, just kinda talk about it thru the week and do lil here in there. I would like to get it to where we can do all in one day but he is one that is overwhelmed with too much at one time. Any suggestions if this is a good idea??!!!

Thank you for your replys, each one helps soooo much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)