Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone homeschooled against the other parent's will?- UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

UPDATE:

IT must have been a miracle, I'm not kidding you at all.  Complete turn around/

DS's dad and I sat down yesterday and discussed the issues for almost 3 hours while ds played in the McDonalds play area.  He said that his concerns were that I was going to be too soft on ds and not make him learn, and that my work schedule would become a problem.  We were able to work it out and he is ON BOARD! Maybe not fully, but he says "We gotta do what we gotta do."   He even offered to handle the math part. surprised  I don't know what has happened here.....but it's definately better!   The sports thing still isn't resolved, however, and he did say that if ds wants to play sports that he will just have to not take him on those weekends, but he wasn't opposed to him playing anymore.

I am  a single parent, as you may have guessed from the title.  I've got a 5yo ds who is currently enrolled in a Montessori style charter school, and I was planning to homeschool after he went through a couple of years, but we have just been informed of a tuition raise, and homeschooling will have to start after this year.  His father does not agree.  He FIRMLY believes that the only and best place for any kid is public school so they can "be around real people, and learn how REAL people live."  Because obviously the people he is currently around are fictional...confused

His father is 100 miles away, does not support any of ds's interests in sports or music (he's still not speaking to me because yesterday I said ds wants to be in soccer and that he'll have to take him every other saturday) despite the fact that ds has even tried to tell him what he's interested in.  He seems to be stuck in the mindset that this is a control game.

Has anyone HSed without support, or with even opposition from another parent?  Want to share stories?  I am a member of the HSLDA and my state's home education association, and my job will not get in the way of schooling, since the hours range from 3:45pm to 9am.   I am currently taking college classes, but I've got a good sitter that supports homeschooling who will watch him during the day for me.

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Replies (11-13):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Your update is good news. Frankly it's what any male might say whether you are still married to them or not. I know my husband felt that way too.

Just be careful that in trying to prove your child is learning "enough" that you don't should you or you child so much the process of homeschooling becomes too stressful. Learning is best done, IMO, when not forced and when relaxed and fun.

butterflycircle
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Glad he has come around! That is great : )

I am wanting to hs too but my hubby is not on board at all.

Ecoseem
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Your update is good news. Frankly it's what any male might say whether you are still married to them or not. I know my husband felt that way too.

Just be careful that in trying to prove your child is learning "enough" that you don't should you or you child so much the process of homeschooling becomes too stressful. Learning is best done, IMO, when not forced and when relaxed and fun.

I really feel the same way about learning, so I'm going to do my best not to stress,  And at the very least, even if we are relaxed on schooling here, I can send worksheets down to help his dad evaluate and help teach on his weekends.

I just can't believe it,  He had previously believed that homeschooling and "alternative" ways of life (like religion, immunization beliefs, homeschooling etc) CAUSED children to be special needs.  His half brother 12 years his junior is on the autism spectrum and his mother home schools, so ds's dad is a believer that it was caused by her beliefs.  This breakthrough has to be through the pawer of prayer, because it is unbelievable

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN