Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like giving up.

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 284 Total Views
My daughter is 5. We have been homeschooling this year (K). Aside from my husband, my entire family thinks its nuts. None of them support me. We are constantly getting "you really think your smart enough to teach her what she needs to know", "your not able to spend enough time with her while still giving the others the attention they need", and on and on.

I am terrified of sending her to public school because 1. She has some special needs 2. She is already a year and a half ahead of her peers 3. Our school system isn't great at all. However, I feel like giving up. I feel like maybe my family is right. Maybe I can't do this. Why keep going and put her in public school later when I could start her in August with her peers. I'm so confused and I hate it.

I also have a 3.5 yr old, almost 2 yr old and due with my 4th in May.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
momtoBrenna
by Helping Hands on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't let the others browbeat you! At her age, 2-3 hours a day is all that is needed really. If she is already that far ahead, she will be miserable in a ps classroom. My dh's family was very against my homeschooling my dd but I told them too bad. She is in a really good charter now but we may have to pull her because she's bored but, we're going to have her tested for a grade skip first. I am now homeschooling the 2nd semester of preschool for my ds and will be homeschooling him next year too, at least. 

You can do this, keep your head up and know that you are doing what is best for her. You can also engage your middle two in the learning to their levels. Like I said, you only need 2-3 hours a day and those can be split up over the course of the day. *hugs*

Annastacialynn
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Don't let family bother you!! If you and your husband feel this is the best thing for your daughter, do it! :) I decided when I had my kids that I was going to do what my husband and I felt best for our children, regardless of anyone else's opinions. It has been wonderful to remember that when I am feeling blah about homeschooling. My mom is still somewhat against it and keeps pushing me to get involved in some kind of group or part time school for him. I just let her speak her peace and remind her that this is our choice.

Do you know any other homeschool moms? Do you have any other support system besides your husband? I would see if you could find some other moms that homeschool - even if you don't meet up with them. It helps to have other moms that have been through homeschooling a little bit and can give you a long-term perspective on it. :) Hugs to you!! It will all turn out fine. :) Remember, you and your husband's opinions are the only ones that matter when it comes to your kiddies. :)

PS - My son is 5.5 and I have a 1.5 year old. We do school while my daughter is sleeping. We usually do about 1-2 hours - we have plenty of time to spend with each other through out the day and no one is neglected. :) I'm sure you have lots of time with each of your children. :)

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

You are incapable of teaching a child what she needs to know at age 5? What do 5 year olds need to learn? Her name, the alphabet, her numbers, shapes, colors, you can talk about animals, go on feild trips, etc. You are an adult and are not capable of teaching her those things?  Seriously think about that for a minute. 

Life is simple, We make it but we make it complicated. 

http://tinasblogok.blogspot.com/

luvmycutebaby
by Stacy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Don't let outsiders let you discourage you from doing what you and your husband have decided is best for your family. You have great reasons for homeschooling! 

Have you found a local homeschool group to join? I think that finding a group like that would provide a lot of support that you need.

Depending on your comfort level, you will want to either stand up to your family and tell them to stop giving you unsolicited advice or you'll want to just ignore them. Either way, let the results speak for themselves.

One family member used to say a lot of "Well he'll never learn..." or "He'll miss out on..." types of stuff but she hasn't said anything in a while. She's quizzed him on various things and he's been doing better than she expected.

People always question the unknown. I run a home daycare and when my oldest was three I would get a lot of people expressing shock that I wasn't sending him to preschool. Even though I teach preschoolers at home!

My youngest is getting close to preschool age so it'll be interesting to see if people throw the same stuff at me with him or not. At least this time, I can point to my oldest and how well he's been learning at home! 

Author of  Deception

Available on Kindle ~ Paperback ~ Nook

Betrayal coming in Feb 2013

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)