Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

online public school....?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 28 Replies
  • 998 Total Views

my dd will start kindergarten in the fall, and we've been wondering on whether we should keep her home or not. the schools around here are not horrible but theyre not the best either. i also have a 2 yr old and a baby due in two wks. i've heard of ECOT and K12.com and was wondering if i could get any advice about that stuff? its public school so its supposed to be free, just you do it at home. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sumtermom3
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM
My oldest (10 grade) goes to public school but as a requirement to graduate notes has to take 1 online class. He is doing 2- biology honors and algebra 2 through Fl virtual school and I would not recommend it to anyone. It's very time consuming. Even easy classes like drivers ed were not recommended to us after he started. If he ever gets done he will never do another.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I've heard good & bad about it. I'd be willing to give it a try if it were offered in my state but it's not.

BabyFruit Ticker

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I homeschooled my nephew with K12 and hated it. it is still a public school with strict schedules and reporting and assignments. they have specific times they must be logged into online classes and it doesn't give you the freedom of traditional homeschooling.

We homeschool because I have kids that learn best through hands on and life experiences. Sitting them in front of books and a computer all day doesn't meet their needs for stimulation and experiences.If we took a day and went for a field trip, I had to either lie and log him as having done school, or force him tomake it up on the weekend so to him it felt like field trips were a punishment.

I know a few families who have used it and really liked it but the majority did it as a kind of transition into figuring out how homeschooling would work for them and then left after the first year.  I don't recommend it.

It is also very easy for the student to cheat if they aren't supervised well. they take and grade the tests themselves so it's easy for them to write down the correct answers, retake the test and pass it. I caught my nephew doing this topass his spelling/vocab.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

LoriAlane8
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

You are one busy mommy! And about to get busier :) I have 2 children (buth now in highschool) who have used the K12 curriculum through their entire schooling. We love it. We used it independantly (purchased the curriculum) for the first few years, then moved to a state (Wisconsin) with a virtual academy using that curriculum and joined. Love the virtual academies with teacher support and you can't beat the fact you don't have to purchase the curriculum. Starting your child out with this very engaging and thorough curriculum will prepare her for great things in the future. At least I can honestly say my children a very prepared for college and beyond. Actually my senior has already taken a couple of college courses starting in her hs sophomore year and has a 4.0 in highschool and college. There is so much great support for parents through the K12 Virtual Academies. Good luck with your decision and congratulations with the new addition!

GELiz
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I homeschooled a boy that was doing the public school online. It was good, but withKindergarten- I do not know how that would go. YOu could maybe do it while 2 year old was napping?

peachwine
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I would look up homeschool associations in your area and give them a call. They are wonderful about giving you important information and options. .

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Many homeschool associations don't allow families that use online public schools to participate. I know one in our are that is VERY restrictive based on what type of schooling you do.  Many DO allow them, you just have to be aware and up front with the group;

Quoting peachwine:

I would look up homeschool associations in your area and give them a call. They are wonderful about giving you important information and options. .

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

southernwldchld
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Pro's for us:

Everything needed was provided, from textbooks to a bag of dirt lol

Didn't require much research or planning (I was working full time and homeschooling our two oldest at the time so this was a biggie for me)

Easy to understand lessons for me.

Cons:

Not year round

Not very much leeway for changing things up, DS is dyslexic and their phonics program did not work for him but there wasn't another option for reading issues until 3rd grade

It's a LOT of materials, if you are short on space you need a great organized area dedicated to it.

A lot of busy work that I found unecessary

History was not chronologically taught (a small sticking point really)

We now use a hybrid type program through our local district. There are onsite classes if families are interested but they aren't required. There's some awesome one's though, Drama, Lego Robotics, STEM, Geography, Choir, Karate, etc. And you still get to build your own curriculum to teach with at home. 

One thing I've learned in the last several years is to keep looking, there are different programs out there, depending on your state, and sometimes it's easier to just do it yourself. It can be intimidating, but it's not so scary once you get into it. We have to use a ps program because of ex and custody bs. If not, I'd just do it on my own. I compromised and found a good mix of both.

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

We do K12 but I am not that thrilled. I think if I can swing it my oldest will be traditionally homeschooled like my youngest next year. However he will be doing courses online , he will be in HS next year. There are many online classes through Currclick and other avenues.  

momamanda
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Hi I am considering Onlin public school to my 3 next year. The "go to school" now and next year will be Kindergarten, 2nd grade, and 4th. What I have read about K12 I don't really like but I have a friend who does it with her kindergartener and likes it. I am looking at Connections Academy. Same Idea but different. You should check them out and see if they offer it in your state.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)