Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my dd will start kindergarten in the fall, and we've been wondering on whether we should keep her home or not. the schools around here are not horrible but theyre not the best either. i also have a 2 yr old and a baby due in two wks. i've heard of ECOT and K12.com and was wondering if i could get any advice about that stuff? its public school so its supposed to be free, just you do it at home. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (21-28):
Outrageous
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I felt this way as well .. used them for several years then withdrew.  Homeschooling is done for different reasons.  I felt the online schooling was the same work and ideas as the public school with very little room for freedoma nd creativity .. if we did venture out for field trips, it caused a back up in the online assignment cue...... not worth the other sacrifices but.. it is good for a starter family...

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

I pulled my girls from it in January. It sucked to joy of learning out of them. We got so far behind from going to the library and an occasional field trip. We were so stuck in the house from the amount of work given. They say it flexiblebut here in Utah its not at all. It was nice having a teacher some times. But not worth all the other sacrifices.

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I just always picked my own curriculum.  I wanted to stay clear of public school totally.  I have a grandson that did K12 this year but they are switching to doing their own thing next year.  All of mine (14 of the 15) have already graduated from homeschool.  I am down to just my 15 yr old at home now :-)

momamanda
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

That is exactly why I am using CA because I want to be accountable. I'm afraid If I have no one to be accountable to I will fail my children. We are doing it on a trial basis so if they end up going back to "school". then I do not want them to be behind.

Quoting Outrageous:

I used Connections Academy for a few years.  For grades 2-6. If you are not one that likes to be kept on a tight schedule, I would not recommend it.  While the curriculum is wonderful, it's Calvert, I have found that you can purchase some used online, Ebay and Amazon, and use it and HAVE freedom to explore the world and not be tied down; checking in and logging on for everything.  I did that for this year with my 2nd grade, 7 year old son, because I have the teaching binders/lesson plans from which my daughters had.  BUT...  I will say, if it is structure that you are looking for, then CA IS a good option for you.  Especially if you do not think you can school the kids yourself, or teach them what they need to know by a certain grade... that way you will have teacher support.  I must admit, when I was new to schooling, that is why I chose CA... but now, after having the experience, and now having a gifted son, it is not a choice for us...... good luck with CA ...

Quoting momamanda:

Hi I am considering Onlin public school to my 3 next year. The "go to school" now and next year will be Kindergarten, 2nd grade, and 4th. What I have read about K12 I don't really like but I have a friend who does it with her kindergartener and likes it. I am looking at Connections Academy. Same Idea but different. You should check them out and see if they offer it in your state.

Tennismom360
by Testing the waters on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I am done with public schools. Sorry I prefer the flexibility of a private school so we are doing a private online shool. we need more flexibility in scheduling and not having to log in daily and take attendance.  The public online school gave my grief about my paperwork when I was registering my daughters. 

Anyway, now that we have started with private online school, it seems like a better solution for us.

Good luck

LadeeBellaDonna
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I'm glad I found this post! I've been considering registering my girls in K12 (haven't done it yet because registration isn't open yet) but now, knowing my girls and how our schedule always seems to work, it won't be good for us. We -need- the flexibility... my girls have missed more school this year (not enough to get a phone call but still close), more than what I'm comfortable with... all because of DR appointments or sicknesses. Thankfully I found a good start until I can figure out what they need thoughout the year. And I can adjust to meet their requirements. I also have friends that are teachers in PS and I know if I run into a problem and don't know how to help the girls, I can call them!

hancex6
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM

If you are considering, probably better to try it when your child is young, to see if it works for you.  Every state has different laws, here in MI the laws are very light on homeschooling.  You do not have to report to the state or anyone, you can "home school" anyway you want.  You can use a publicized curriculum, and online public curriculum, or you can use your own curriculum.   As long as your child is learning the basics, math, science, reading, LAN, you can teach however you want.  Recommend looking into your states laws, and then as one of the other moms said, contact your local Home School association.

I have a 14, 12, 12, & 3 yr old, and I regret not home schooling the older ones, now that we moved (a little over a year ago), and the school they go to is awful.  They are considered a "focus" school by the State of MI, because testing scores are so low.  I am considering Homeschooling my 3 yr old, but do want her to go to preschool, to atleast get the socialization and meet kids in our area.  We were very fortunate that a Charter Academy just opened up in the area last year, and God willing they all 4 will attend there next year. It is a year round, extended day, but will be really good especially for my child with a LD, and memory deficit, because it lessons learning loss over summer.  

One thing good about homeschool is you can fit it in to your schedule, you can do it anywhere, and anytime.  Just do some research weigh pros and cons, and you can try it, if it doesn't work you can always go back to Public School!

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM

We have done k with k12 2 times now, once for my dd7, once for my dd6.  It can be good just depends on the kid.  My 7 year old decided after 1st she is tired of not being able to work on what she wanted to so we are switching to a homeschool charter school that is set up to be more like traditional homeschool.  My current kinder is going back to CAVA (our k12 school) next year.  She really likes it.  So we will be doing 2 different kinds of school next year.  Plus my dd3 will be doing fun preschool activities.

Saracide
by Testing the waters on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I used K12 and supplement where needed. I don't make him do every single assignment and so far we haven't had to keep records of any of the work we've done, even though I have all his workbooks. K12 doesn't want you to do every single assignment, you can tweak it and just teach to the objective. So far my 1st grader has had to only do 2 class connects a week, and there were a few times we just didn't log in. They record the sessions so you can listen to the lesson later.

So far everything has been really laid back with K12 in my experience. I don't know about the higher grades though. I have been considering doing my own thing next year though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN