Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what have you learned from homeschooling?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 456 Total Views

I am considering homeschool for next year. My children will be in Kindergarten, 2nd Grade, and 4th Grade. Up to now they have attended public school. My youngest is n Pre-k this year and has a terrible time with seperation! STILL and it's JANUARY!! ugh! anyway. If I do homeschool I plan on using GA K12 which is public school online.(ALL FREE plus they send each child a computer to work on) I feel confident in this as it will be my first year HS. So here are my questions.

Why did you choose to homeschool?

what program do you use?

What grades are your children?

If you pulled your kids out of public schools what were your reasons?

what is the most difficult part of HS?

What is your favorite part of HS?

What has been the most unexpected part of homeschooling? Good and bad...

what do you kids think of homeschool? Do they ask to go to public school? Do they ever think they are missing out on something?

DO you belong to any type of co op or other group?

Please share any other thoughts or advice with me. I am trying to get as much advice and information as possible so that I know what I am getting myself into. thanks so much

Just to add My reasons to homeschool are:

*I like the thought of having the freedom to do what we want and go where we want without having to wait for school breaks or being worried about making up work, or getting in trouble for missing to many days.

*My children behave well at school but I have alot of issues with my younger 2 (age 5 and 6) at home and think that by having them home it may be easier to fix these issues.

*My pre-ker Cries almost everyday to go to school. some days are good but when it's bad it's bad! She loves school once she's there but the saying goodbye part she hates and the teachers have to pull her out of the car kicking and screaming! Sometimes I feel bad and sometimes it just makes me mad! lol

*I feel like they are growing up so fast and I want to be able to spend this time with them and with school adding to other activites Life feels so rushed some days

*I feel that being a stay at home mom is what I am meant to be, Although when the kids aren't home and are at school I feel like even though I clean the house and take care of things for them It's still not what I am suppose to be doing.. I dunno how else to explain it.

* I think that if I was teaching them I would have more time to see what their biggest talents and intrests are. and allow them to learn more about what intrests them

My doubts:

*I'm worried I am enabling my 5 year olds seperation anxiety by homeschooling her and allowing her to continue the pattern.

* my 6 yo son is very shy and has to be forced into social situations. School has helped him alot in this area. I'm afraid he'll regress if he's not placed in social situation without me.

*I'm worried they will feel like they are missing out on something

*I'm worried that I won't be able to handle them being with me 24/7 everyday. This has been my first year with no kids at home and I must say I enjoy the silence and the clean house haha! Not sure if I'm ready to loose that

*Not sure if I have the "smarts" to homeschool..... thus the reason I want to use the K12 program as each child has a technical teacher there to help. I worry though that they will fall behind.....

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry to say, but you will NOT get the freedoom you want from K12. It is public school at home and you still have to follow their schedule and program. I did it with my nephew for a year and it was a LOT of busy work and very easy for him to cheaton tests.

Homeschooling is a total lifestyle attitude change. I've found most homeschool kids have less attitude and behavior problems and tend to get along with siblings better than many public school families we know. It is partially because the kids find was to cope and can go off alone, or go do seperate thiings when they are bothered and partially because we have more time together to understand each other.

I pulled my boys from public school when they were in the 3rd and 1st grades. One because of a learning disability and the school refused to provide services, the other was beat up repeatedly and the school did nothing. (They are now 9th and 7th graders) DD has never been to traditional school and is doing 4th ~ 6th grade work.

We use a public homeschool charter school. They allow me to choose all of the kid's curriculum and I make my own lesson plans. They offer electives and core classes at a learning center but it is totally optional to attend. In trade for the curriculum, I report attendance once a month and turn in one work sample from each class as well as have them take the state testing each spring but it is much less reporting than K12.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Groovy Chick on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Why did you choose to homeschool? My daughter wasn't being challenged enough.

what program do you use? This yr we are using Weaver curriculum. Next yr Abeka.

What grades are your children? 6th

If you pulled your kids out of public schools what were your reasons? I realized what no child left behind really meant. I was going to wait until winter break to pull her out, but a third grader attacked her over a necklace. She was second grade at the time. Anyway that was the icing on the cake for me. I pulled her out two days later

what is the most difficult part of HS? Planning and making sure you are teaching what they need to know.

What is your favorite part of HS? That I know what she is learning and I get to spend all day with her. I love it!

What has been the most unexpected part of homeschooling? Good and bad... haven't experienced this. I had done a lot of research before I had decided to homeschool her.

what do you kids think of homeschool? She loves it. Do they ask to go to public school? No Do they ever think they are missing out on something? I don't think so. She hasn't said anything about that.

DO you belong to any type of co op or other group? I do belong to a homeschool group.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Why did you choose to homeschool? My oldest son's math grade was suddenly an F - the lowest he'd ever had. My youngest, who had always brought home the equivalent of As & Bs was suddenly bringing home Ds & Fs, and getting into constant trouble, even though he NEVER had before. And the topper was when my youngest had the lenses to his glasses stolen out of his backpack (they'd come out of the frames) and the principal said he was lying - then when the theif returned them, the principal refused to apologize or admit my son hadn't lied. The education they were getting was not what I thought it should be, either - there were many things that they weren't being taught at all (my oldest thought Canada was in Alaska!), and others that got ignored in favor of something else (held in from art or music for math, for example).

what program do you use? none. I use Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year as a general guideline of the things they should be learning, but I put together my own lessons, so I can try to teach them the way they'll learn best. I get materials from all over the internet, and make my own.

What grades are your children? My oldest is 6th, youngest is 3rd.

If you pulled your kids out of public schools what were your reasons? As I said for the first question - poor grades, a bully for a principal, lack of quality education at the school.

what is the most difficult part of HS? Hm...i guess knowing that I'm fully responsible for their education?

What is your favorite part of HS? the relaxed feeling to life, the lack of a strict schedule that we must adhere to or get in trouble. The ability to change our plans at the last minute.

What has been the most unexpected part of homeschooling? Good and bad...I don't think I've really had anything unexpected yet. I decided to homeschool several months before I pulled them out (my oldest had just joined chorus and really wanted to stay in it, so I pulled them at Christmas, so he could finish), so I did lots and lots of research, joined lots of groups and asked lots of questions.

what do you kids think of homeschool? Do they ask to go to public school? Do they ever think they are missing out on something? They don't think they're missing out on anything, and they love being homeschooled. In fact, the threat of public school often keeps them in line! lol Not really, but once when they were really driving me nuts with not wanting to do their work, I said something about that if they didn't want to learn from me, I'd put them back in public school because I couldn't take it, and they immediately got busy and got their work done. I'm pretty sure if I ever seriously told them they had to go back to public school, they'd be really upset.

DO you belong to any type of co op or other group? We don't belong to a co op, per se. But we do belong to a homeschooling group that gets together for park days and field trips. It's a very inclusive group, with all styles of schooling, various religions, lots of diversity. I love it - I feel like just from this small group of people we have out with, my kids are getting exposure to many more different cultures, religions, people, than they ever did at public school.

butterflycircle
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM

OP Thank you for posting this. I want to homeschool too and have many of the same worries/concerns.

My kids are 7 (2nd grade), 2 1/2 (not old enough yet I know), and I am pregnant with #3. I think that I might really seriously homeschool my 2 1/2 and baby in the future. I want to with my 7yr old but I am afraid of it being to late. She is use to public school and she has friends and stuff. I don't want to hs my little ones and make her wonder, why not her? My husband is not for hs.

My concerns are...

the lack of social interaction. We aren't really involved in anything. I know a few women from church that homeschool and they are in a hs group and so I could look into that. Also we could look into putting the kids into class like karate, an instrament, dance, a craft...

The money. This is the biggest part holding me back with my 7yr old. We don't have a lot of money right now but we should have more by the time my little ones are ready (hubby will be done with school and can have a job with his degree and will be making more money by then hopefully). That limits the curiculum and social interaction too.

My own abilities. I don't know how to hs and I was public schooled so Idk if I can break away from that. I don't want to hold her back.

My reasons I want to... 7-8 hours a day in school is just toooooooo much! Then homework on top of that too plus extra reading as well. On Mondays I only see my daughter for 2-3 hours total alllll day b/c she has catechism and school. The teachers cannot give her one on one like she might need. I think a lot of kids fall through the cracks and I don't want her to suffer for it. I am not comfortable putting my childs life in a teachers hands all day. I have no control over what she learns or how, it is all standard. 

momamanda
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Does the public charter school cost?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We use a public homeschool charter school. They allow me to choose all of the kid's curriculum and I make my own lesson plans. They offer electives and core classes at a learning center but it is totally optional to attend. In trade for the curriculum, I report attendance once a month and turn in one work sample from each class as well as have them take the state testing each spring but it is much less reporting than K12.

Ichthus
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Why did you choose to homeschool? I had children for ME to raise, not someone else. I witnessed many homeschool high schoolers and was very impressed with their maturity and self esteem. I don't trust public school system. I didn't want my kids exposed to bullying and all the things kids learn from each other too young these days (sex, media figures, etc).

what program do you use? I have chosen different sources for our curriculum (eclectic). I am always researching new ones to see if there's something I like better.

What grades are your children? 3rd, K, and 2yo

If you pulled your kids out of public schools what were your reasons? n/a

what is the most difficult part of HS? feeling unsure that they're learning what they're "supposed to" learn, but I'm learning that it's up to me to a large extent. Being disciplined about our time (that's more my problem; not my kids' fault and don't know if others struggle with this)

What is your favorite part of HS? Having my kids home with me all day and knowing what they're learning and how they're spending  they're time

What has been the most unexpected part of homeschooling? Good and bad... Managing my time and having them complain about it.

what do you kids think of homeschool? Do they ask to go to public school? Do they ever think they are missing out on something?  They don't want to go to school, but they still complain about "doing" school. My kids don't know what going to school is like, though. I hear families who attended school first still struggle with this, though.

DO you belong to any type of co op or other group? Yes, we are part of a group that meets once a week through the schoolyear and the parents teach classes so the kids are getting classroom experience and making friends.

eesmommy
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM
What did I learn from homeschooling? My kids are smart.... freakishly smart, blow my mind smart.
We are loosy goosey, we aren't part of a co op but we are part of a homeschool group. We don't go on the field trips since dh works 6 days a week and we only have one vehicle so we go on 2 vacations which we incorporate field trips into and once a month we go on mini field trips.
I pull about 50% of their studies off of the internet, the remaining 50% is textbooks. I use a lot of educational shows and videos for science and history.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I have the money issue too.. Which is one of the reasons K12 intrests me. Also because I like the idea of someone else keeping tabs on me to make sure they are learning what they need to know.  I have a couple of friends whose kids do K12 and they really like it. They are also allowed to take time off and just make it up at a later time. We have family that lives far away and I hate having to spend every school Holiday visiting and paying twice as much as we could pay If we went in the middle of october or febuary when everything is cheaper.

I don't think it would be to late for her. Have you thought about Girlscouts. I am a troop leader and my daughter is in. It's a great socialization that is fairly cheap compared to karate and other classes like that. My 9 yo is in Girlscouts and Gymnastics, My 6 yo does boyscouts and has played some sports in the past and my 5 yo used to do gymnastics and  will be in girlscouts next year. Plus we go to church and I plan on looking into all the hs groups in our area and maybe even starting my own if I can't find one I like..haha.. Socialization is a concern of mine but I don't think school is the only place kids can socialize.

My dh is on board with me because he likes the idea of the freedom too. He owns his own business and works from home and is a student so we are pretty flexible. Good luck with your research.. I just want to know everything I could possibly learn before I make such a big decision. Plus I decided that I would do it on a trial basis until Christmas and If by Christmas we hated it they could go back to  PS after the break. Their school is closing this year and they have to move to a new one anyway so I feel like They are going to be new students whether the start in August or January.

Quoting butterflycircle:

OP Thank you for posting this. I want to homeschool too and have many of the same worries/concerns.

My kids are 7 (2nd grade), 2 1/2 (not old enough yet I know), and I am pregnant with #3. I think that I might really seriously homeschool my 2 1/2 and baby in the future. I want to with my 7yr old but I am afraid of it being to late. She is use to public school and she has friends and stuff. I don't want to hs my little ones and make her wonder, why not her? My husband is not for hs.

My concerns are...

the lack of social interaction. We aren't really involved in anything. I know a few women from church that homeschool and they are in a hs group and so I could look into that. Also we could look into putting the kids into class like karate, an instrament, dance, a craft...

The money. This is the biggest part holding me back with my 7yr old. We don't have a lot of money right now but we should have more by the time my little ones are ready (hubby will be done with school and can have a job with his degree and will be making more money by then hopefully). That limits the curiculum and social interaction too.

My own abilities. I don't know how to hs and I was public schooled so Idk if I can break away from that. I don't want to hold her back.

My reasons I want to... 7-8 hours a day in school is just toooooooo much! Then homework on top of that too plus extra reading as well. On Mondays I only see my daughter for 2-3 hours total alllll day b/c she has catechism and school. The teachers cannot give her one on one like she might need. I think a lot of kids fall through the cracks and I don't want her to suffer for it. I am not comfortable putting my childs life in a teachers hands all day. I have no control over what she learns or how, it is all standard. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM
No, it is free, just like traditional public school. They also will pay for sports or electives as long as the business completes their vendor requirements. They paid for a family YMCA membership last year. This year I'm getting vendor funds for Drivers ed for DS1.

Quoting momamanda:

Does the public charter school cost?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Why did you choose to homeschool? I have many reasons but I will keep it short by only naming a few...maybe lol. 1) I was homeschooled and it is very familiar to me. 2) My husband has always worked odd schedules and this allows us the freedom to have time with him. If they were in public school there would be times they wouldn't have seen him for two weeks. 3) The public schools here aren't the greatest (and I'm being nice). 4) We have the freedom to learn what, when, and where we want. That is just some or our main reasons for homeschooling.

What program do you use? I am using Abeka, Rod & Staff, Apologia, BJU, and a few other odd and ends I found.

What grades are your children? Right now it's just my daughter and she's in first. My little boy will be two and we will be starting a few things next year for him. It's more to keep him occupied lol.

If you pulled your kids out of public schools what were your reasons? She went to a public run headstart for two years. I didn't pull her, she graduated from the program, but thats when we decided not to let her go on to kindergarten.

What is the most difficult part of HS? Managing my time between the kids and the house.

What is your favorite part of HS? Watching her face light up when she learns something new and doing the projects with her.

What has been the most unexpected part of homeschooling? Good and bad...

The most unexpected bad part was our first year when nothing seemed to work right. I thought I had it all together. The good has been watching my 19 month old pick up on everything. I didn't expect him to do that this young lol.

What do your kids think of homeschool? Right now she seems to be liking it.

Do they ask to go to public school? She did the first year because she was missing seeing her friends everyday and because of our rough start, but now she knows we usually end way before they do and stuff so she doesnt ask.

Do they ever think they are missing out on something? Not really. I try to provide her with the same opportunities that they have.

Do you belong to any type of co op or other group? Not yet. I have been looking at two different ones. I just havent made a decision yet.

Please share any other thoughts or advice with me. I am trying to get as much advice and information as possible so that I know what I am getting myself into. thanks so much.   My advice would be to find your kids learning styles. It helped things so much once I did. Also there will be rough patches but if this is something you really want just hold on and you will get through it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN