Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

YOUR planning? Budget? and a slew of other questions :-)

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 317 Total Views

I am interested in answers both from parents who follow a curriculum and those who design their own curriculum. It would also be interesting to hear what grade or age your HSchild(ren) is(are).

1. When do you do your lesson planning / preparation for the next days/ week´s lesson? Ábout how much time does it take?
  2. How many hours per week are devoted to you preparing to teach your child? particularly if you don´t use a curriculum created by others.
  3. Do you use prepared curriculum, shared lesson plans or teaching resources from a co-op, your library, etc. or do you pretty much do it all on your own (or is your child old enough independent enough to do some self-study work)?
  4. Are any offline programs, apps or online websites like Starfall, BrainPop, National Geographic, music apps key for you on a daily or weekly basis? Maybe you use them for inspiration to create a lesson plan, or maybe your child uses them to complete a learning experience.
  5. Do you have a budget for homeschooling and have you been able to stick to it? What is it if you are comfortable sharing that. What is your biggest annual expense?

We are not yet at the homeschooling age (toddler here), but we have a lot of considerations / ramifications that will follow if we choose to homeschool and at the end of this year I´ll be legally obligated to report if I am going to be homeschooling my child as a US student or register him in pre-school as a Mexican student, so I am trying to get my husband seriously thinking about what we are willing to commit to as a family. Since I also work and foresee that won´t change, though it may go to part-time, it is probably key that DH and I are sharing the HS responsibility.  I´m more inclined to HS than my DH is in a way that would satisfy local requirements; DH would probably be more ideally suited to go an "unschooling" route due to his personality type and his own learning style, but that would probably leave us with some conflicts later if we alternate between residences in the US and Mexico which could likely happen during the elementary years.

Thanks in advance for thoughts /details you are willing to share!

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this
1) I prep on Saturday night.

2) For a Pre-K and K it takes about an hour on Saturday night. I also spend 10-15 minutes the night before pulling worksheets, filing the completed work, etc....

3) I use prepared curriculums and tweak to our individual needs....and we tweak a lot :)

4) No.

5) This year it is $1200 for two kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Bump for when I get to the computer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gummibear
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
  1. When do you do your lesson planning / preparation for the next days/ week´s lesson? I do mine at night after my kids go to the bed and when they are doing self work.  Ábout how much time does it take? I would have to say 5 hours a week.
  2. How many hours per week are devoted to you preparing to teach your child? I am always planning, if I see something i think we can use or do together I write it down or mark it somehow. I pick things up when I am out. particularly if you don´t use a curriculum created by others. I do my own curriculum we mix unschool and school at home depending on the schedule of the day.
  3. Do you use prepared curriculum, shared lesson plans or teaching resources from a co-op, your library, etc. or do you pretty much do it all on your own (or is your child old enough independent enough to do some self-study work)? My children are 5, 8, 9, and 14. My 14 is in K12 for highschool. I use everything i have access to. I have a kindle and so I download books for them on subjects we are going over. I use IXL.com for math quizes and Kahn academy if i need a refresher or if the kids are not getting my "way" of teaching things. I get worksheets from all over the internet to boost what I want them to "get"
  4. Are any offline programs, apps or online websites like Starfall, BrainPop, National Geographic, music apps key for you on a daily or weekly basis? Online we use IXL, starfall, brainfun. Offline we use wildlife explorer (IMP card set), Hooked on Phonics power builders, Handwriting without tears, boardgames are great,  Maybe you use them for inspiration to create a lesson plan, or maybe your child uses them to complete a learning experience. The place I use the most in goodwill. Here on Sat they have 20 cents a book for selected kids books.
  5. Do you have a budget for homeschooling and have you been able to stick to it? My buget is mainly 100 a month and I am able to stick to it pretty well. The biggest expense I have is ink   What is it if you are comfortable sharing that. What is your biggest annual expense? I really don't know but that is cause i am always just picking things up.    I hope this helps.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
  1. When do you do your lesson planning / preparation for the next days/ week´s lesson? Ábout how much time does it take? I hae three kids - one each in high school, Jr. high and Elementary so I don't school them together. It takes me about 1 hour per student to get their lessons and plans ready each weekend.
  2. How many hours per week are devoted to you preparing to teach your child? particularly if you don´t use a curriculum created by others. See above!
  3. Do you use prepared curriculum, shared lesson plans or teaching resources from a co-op, your library, etc. or do you pretty much do it all on your own (or is your child old enough independent enough to do some self-study work)? We are registered through a public charter school, however, I choose all their own curriculum and do all my own lesson plans as if I were homeschooling independently. I do have minimal reporting and that takes me about 3-4 hours per month to pull my reports together.
  4. Are any offline programs, apps or online websites like Starfall, BrainPop, National Geographic, music apps key for you on a daily or weekly basis? Maybe you use them for inspiration to create a lesson plan, or maybe your child uses them to complete a learning experience. Nope - don't use any of those. When the kids were little, they did Jumpstart.com as a supplement/ fun time. I do sometimes find things on YouTube, and/or Netflix for them to incorporate into their schooling.
  5. Do you have a budget for homeschooling and have you been able to stick to it? What is it if you are comfortable sharing that. What is your biggest annual expense? Since we use the Charter School (California) they pay for almost everything. I supplement religous education and sports for PE but they provide all textbooks and testing.
Dawn07
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

1. When do you do your lesson planning / preparation for the next days/ week´s lesson? Ábout how much time does it take? I sit at the beginning of the year and plan out each subject. Each Sunday afternoon I sit and write out each week what we will be doing. This way if we fall behind in something I can just readjust that instead of the whole years worth. The weeks worth usually only takes me about 15 minutes if I'm not watching tv too.
  2. How many hours per week are devoted to you preparing to teach your child? particularly if you don´t use a curriculum created by others. I'm not sure how many hours, I do little things all week to stay on top.
  3. Do you use prepared curriculum, shared lesson plans or teaching resources from a co-op, your library, etc. or do you pretty much do it all on your own (or is your child old enough independent enough to do some self-study work)? I pretty much use prepared curriculum, although its from different publishers.
  4. Are any offline programs, apps or online websites like Starfall, BrainPop, National Geographic, music apps key for you on a daily or weekly basis? Maybe you use them for inspiration to create a lesson plan, or maybe your child uses them to complete a learning experience. Not really...yet. You never know though as we go along.

Do you have a budget for homeschooling and have you been able to stick to it? What is it if you are comfortable sharing that. What is your biggest annual expense? I have a general $500 dollar budget, but I try to save whenever possible and I spread out buying over the year so it's not all at once. The books are my biggest cost. 

conejoazul
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I really appreciate all the answers that have been shared so far! Thanks Moms!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)