YOUR planning? Budget? and a slew of other questions :-)
I am interested in answers both from parents who follow a curriculum and those who design their own curriculum. It would also be interesting to hear what grade or age your HSchild(ren) is(are).
- When do you do your lesson planning / preparation for the next days/ week´s lesson? Ábout how much time does it take?
- How many hours per week are devoted to you preparing to teach your child? particularly if you don´t use a curriculum created by others.
- Do you use prepared curriculum, shared lesson plans or teaching resources from a co-op, your library, etc. or do you pretty much do it all on your own (or is your child old enough independent enough to do some self-study work)?
- Are any offline programs, apps or online websites like Starfall, BrainPop, National Geographic, music apps key for you on a daily or weekly basis? Maybe you use them for inspiration to create a lesson plan, or maybe your child uses them to complete a learning experience.
- Do you have a budget for homeschooling and have you been able to stick to it? What is it if you are comfortable sharing that. What is your biggest annual expense?
We are not yet at the homeschooling age (toddler here), but we have a lot of considerations / ramifications that will follow if we choose to homeschool and at the end of this year I´ll be legally obligated to report if I am going to be homeschooling my child as a US student or register him in pre-school as a Mexican student, so I am trying to get my husband seriously thinking about what we are willing to commit to as a family. Since I also work and foresee that won´t change, though it may go to part-time, it is probably key that DH and I are sharing the HS responsibility. I´m more inclined to HS than my DH is in a way that would satisfy local requirements; DH would probably be more ideally suited to go an "unschooling" route due to his personality type and his own learning style, but that would probably leave us with some conflicts later if we alternate between residences in the US and Mexico which could likely happen during the elementary years.
Thanks in advance for thoughts /details you are willing to share!