Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice please

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 332 Total Views

Homeschooling has always been a dream of mine.  I have always thought that I didn't have what it took to home school my kids, smarts, discipline, patients, and so on.  Now I am seriously thinking about it.  My kids are 6, 4, and 2.  My 4 year old is in his first year of pre k and he's in speech therapy.  My 6 year old is in kindergarten.  I love their school and their teachers and everything but I just have this really forceful, idk urge or push, to move the, to homeschooling.  I am very scared and not even sure where to start.  Of course I'm worried that I will fail.  I am worried that we don't have the funds to do it either.  So ladies I need a lot of help, support and advice please?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Annastacialynn
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Read, read, read! :-) Read up on your state laws. Get books about homeschooling from the library. Search for curriculum - most places will send you a free catalog. There are lots of places that are affordable and lots of things you can use to make your own curriculum. we use Christian Liberty Press. If you feel a push to homeschool,it is worth looking into. :-) we started last year and I am so happy that we are doing it. :-) good luck and feel free to message me if you want to! :-)
Ichthus
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

There are many free resources available. Check out www.lessonpathways.com.

deniumchick
by Testing the waters on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I thought I would jump on here.  I think it is great that homeschooling has always been a dream of yours! 

I know that it can be a bit overwhelming at first to wade through all the options out there.  But, if you are able to do it, there is a lot of good information and material to choose from.  One thing that has been a help to me was the info I received from the Focus on the Family website.  They actually have an article on "Effective Home Schooling."  There is also a book called The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling" by Deborah Bell that you might want to check out.  It may be worth finding online.  I hope this helps!

I will be praying about your new venture! 

Mommyfish831
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  I will look these up.  I have been reading about unschooling.  It reminds me a lot of my high school and I absolutely loved it.  It was not a structured class room.  We were given a subject or problem (aids or kidney transplant or religion)  that we did research on and prepared a presentation on it after 3 or 4 weeks, experts from our community on the subjects and parents or interested people would come to the presentations.  I love the idea of learning how to learn.

Quoting deniumchick:

I thought I would jump on here.  I think it is great that homeschooling has always been a dream of yours! 

I know that it can be a bit overwhelming at first to wade through all the options out there.  But, if you are able to do it, there is a lot of good information and material to choose from.  One thing that has been a help to me was the info I received from the Focus on the Family website.  They actually have an article on "Effective Home Schooling."  There is also a book called The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling" by Deborah Bell that you might want to check out.  It may be worth finding online.  I hope this helps!

I will be praying about your new venture! 

Carrie1013
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM

"The Well-Trained Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer is what gave me the confidence to know that I can homeschool... especially at the elementary ages - easy!!

Love and Logic homeschooling parent to son K (age 3) and daughter M (age 16 months). See what we're doing at http://lincolnfreedomacademy.blogspot.com/

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Google is your friend! Google your state laws. Also there are many websites out there with free or cheap stuff to help homeschool and at those ages it should cost you next to nothing. Currclick is an awesome site that always has great deals!  Starfall.com is FREE and a wonderful tool for Pre-k and K.  And we are all scared at first, sometimes we do not feel confident but we push through and keep going because we know its the right thing to do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)