Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not wanting to do his school work

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 292 Total Views

We have been at this for three months at the beginning it was great but now he just is not wanting to do his work. I work full time and so does my husband so were not here during the day to enforce it. When I get home from work it's a fight to do his lessons. I'm at a point where I no longer know what to do. I withdrew him from school for many reasons and putting him back is not what I want. But I'm getting tired of having to fight with him daily. He's in the 6th grade very bright and also very stubborn   Really what else is there for me to do?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Ichthus
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Are you giving him the assignments, or are you doing k-12/ECOT program? If you're doing the lesson planning, maybe ask him what he wants to learn and allow him to help pick curriculum. Is he home alone when you and your dh go to work? Are there some incentives you could offer for getting his work done without fighting?

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM

What DOES he do when you're not there, since he's not doing his work?

What time do you get home? I think technically if you got home at 5 , had dinner and got him started off by 7 he could get a big chunk accomplished by, say, 11. Then he could go to bed, sleep in the next day, then you tell him he has to do 1-2 hours while you're gone and then is free to do what he wants (under the requirement and understanding that HAS to use his evenings to get the majority of his work done) and can finish in the 7-11 (or maybe 6-10 ...whatever time frame works best for you guys) time frame.

Can you afford a "sitter"? Or is he home with an older sibling? If you could afford someone just to be there to "supervise" that he gets his work done, that might work too.... might get his butt in gear too if he finds out that's the only other option.

My DS is in 5th and I'm home with him all day. I set up "assignment sheets" for him to do and he works his way through those (in whatever order he wants) on his own other than some usually minor whining and moaning about an assignment or two he gets it done while I do other things throughout the house. Other assignments/tests are done later with me, so maybe you can set up things DS HAS to work on by himself while you're not there, and then set up a specific time at night that he has to work with you to finish the rest. Having a "bit" more freedom (but not enough - not yet) might get him more on a schedule? Anything's worth a shot I guess.

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Oh, if what's he doing while you are gone is computer or video games, I'd put those on lockdown. If he has computer related work, that can wait till you're home, OR, if using Windows, you can have a separate "School account" where he can only access his school stuff (games and everything else locked), and lock down his "fun account" by limiting the accessible times on it.

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Quoting Ichthus:

Are you giving him the assignments, or are you doing k-12/ECOT program? If you're doing the lesson planning, maybe ask him what he wants to learn and allow him to help pick curriculum. Is he home alone when you and your dh go to work? Are there some incentives you could offer for getting his work done without fighting?

That how my son was we started really talking he wanted more has on that is how he learns. Today I could not get him to set down to do his work so we are working on perimeter so he went around the house measuring things. So everyday that is what we did. The door his room desk chairs just everything he can find. I had to change my curriculum 3 times this year but I think we got it. We made mountains volcanoes weather projects. He want to dissect frogs but we are going to do that ninth grade year. We go to the library and he picks out a book he wants to read and I ask questions from that.When we did percentages we went to K-Mart store. He did the percentages before we got ti the front of the store.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN