Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wanting to unschooled

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 398 Total Views

In the last week I have really felt the push to homeschool (I made another post in another section of this group) in my search of info on homeschooling I have come across unschoing.  It seems so appealing to me.  I am reminded of my high school.  I watched a video on YouTube.  They talked about parents setting up the environment for children to learn and that is very much what my high school was like.  I loved it there.  So anyways I am doing a lot of reading, trying to make the final step into homeschooling.  I had been feeling exactly like something one of the dads said which was that our society now makes it seem as though we have to send our kids to school to learn in that environment, that we as parents don't have what it takes to teach them what they need to know.  They also said that some unschoolers use a structured math.  So I guess with this whole post I'm just a little excited but also still really scared.  What advice, ideas or reading can you send my way?  My kids are 6, 4, and 2 year old.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
frstldyhmsch
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Hi there! Congrats on your decision to homeschool! Unschooling is VERY cool and has plenty of awesome benefits. I get most of my set-up ideas from the montisori teaching method. As far as teaching reading we use free printable books from www.progressivephonics.com & we also use www.starfall.com  but if you are looking for something that will allow you to track progress and is also LOTS of fun, check out www.readingeggs.com they have an awesome program and the price is great also! I hope this helps

Through the eyes of a "Teacher Momma " typing

http://www.branyact.blogspot.com/  Let's talk homeschool  

smj1394
by Suzanne on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM
3 moms liked this

I read this book one time: 

• Homeschooling our children, unschooling ourselves / by Alison McKee.
  • It was an older book, I think but I really liked it.  It gave a great view of unschooling.
  • Good luck to you!!
Mommyfish831
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Thank you :) I am happy to know that Starfall is a help in unschooling because we are familiar with that website and the iPad alphabet app is one of my 2 year olds favorite things to do.  I am now completely resolved that we are homeschooling with unschooling being my main choice (I'm just trying to get out of the mind set that they have to learn certain things and not too late of an age) I am still reading an trying to figure it all out.  I'm in search of homeschooling families near me so that I can kind figure out what I need to outline in my yearly report that I have to submit (I'm not sure how to outline unschooling or if I am required to track progress) as far as I know they have to be taught reading, writing, literature, match, science, history and civics.  

Quoting frstldyhmsch:

Hi there! Congrats on your decision to homeschool! Unschooling is VERY cool and has plenty of awesome benefits. I get most of my set-up ideas from the montisori teaching method. As far as teaching reading we use free printable books from www.progressivephonics.com & we also use www.starfall.com  but if you are looking for something that will allow you to track progress and is also LOTS of fun, check out www.readingeggs.com they have an awesome program and the price is great also! I hope this helps

frstldyhmsch
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM

No Problem! Well, what you want to do is check out http://www.hslda.org look up your state and read through the laws concerning homeschool. Look specifically for how you need to track progress (if at all). Consider lap & notebooking. It's a super easy was to keep track of lesons taught & learned so that at the end of each year you can just place them in a box labeled with the child's name year/grade. 

Through the eyes of a "Teacher Momma " typing

http://www.branyact.blogspot.com/  Let's talk homeschool  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)