Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about homeschooling from pre-k up.

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 368 Total Views
1 mom liked this
We are not quite there yet (still in toddler years) but I know for a fact I want to home school my daughter. I have been doing a lot of research but I still have a ton of questions.

1) For Pre K and Kindergarten what programs and curriculums did you use? Or if you completely made your own, how did you go about doing that?

2) Did you go by a set schedual everyday? If so how did you plan it and was it difficult to get your child used to schooling? If not then what did you do?

3) Do you have a partivcular "style" in which you teach? What is it and can you explain to me how it works?

4) How do you keep records? I'm confused on how you do this in a legal way and how you can do ot so that they can still go to college. Do you make a transcript?

Thanks for your help!!
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM
My pre-k is using Memoria Press Jr. Kindergarten. My K is using mostly Christian Liberty Press 1st Grade but we add in Memoria Press Literature.

We do have a schedule...but it is flexible, lol. We school pretty much year round and take off here and there for whatever. We lost a week do to colds. We go camping a lot in the summer. We have 2 weeks in Yellowstone planned in September, etc....

Our style is definitely a mix of classical and traditional...leaning more to classical. We did try Waldorf/Relaxed for a bit and it was not for us.

I keep records in a homeschool planner. I am unsure of how it works later on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I use abeka for language arts/phonics, writing and math/numbers and then My Fathers Workd for everything else.

We don't have a set schedule, as in specific start and stop times, but we do have a specific order we do our work in because I have four kids, three of them doing school, so there are times I have to switch between them with their work. We have the subjects written on one of our many dry erase boards so they know what subject comes next and sometimes the older kids are able to move on if I'm working with their brother.

My kids are very laid back, they are fine when we do school and are okay if we have things that interfere with getting school done.

As for record keeping, I grade my oldest two, and have progress reports for them that go in their annual file. At the end of the year I go through all their school work and pull out 10-15 papers per subject showing progression and keep those. I do plan on making my own transcripts but I'm not worried about that now, my oldest is in 3rd grade.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Quoting britnipaige:

We are not quite there yet (still in toddler years) but I know for a fact I want to home school my daughter. I have been doing a lot of research but I still have a ton of questions.

1) For Pre K and Kindergarten what programs and curriculums did you use? Or if you completely made your own, how did you go about doing that? For pre-k we focus on the alphabet (saying and recognizing upper and lower case letters), hard consonant sounds, counting to 20, counting backwards from 10, recognizing numbers, colors, and shapes. For kindergarten we will use Math Mammoth 1st grade for math, Little Stories for Little Folks phonics program (Catholic Heritage Curriculum), Memoria Press' letter and number books for writing skills, and Seton's religion for kindergartners.

2) Did you go by a set schedual everyday? If so how did you plan it and was it difficult to get your child used to schooling? If not then what did you do? I'm not sure yet about my schedule for my rising kindergartner. I also homeschool my 11 year old, so I work with my younger when my eldest is working independently. We will probably do the same next year for kindergarten.

3) Do you have a partivcular "style" in which you teach? What is it and can you explain to me how it works? We are pretty traditionally scholastic with a heavy emphasis on maths and sciences (and writing). We use textbooks, *real* books, and worktexts. Our favorite resource, though, is the white board!

4) How do you keep records? I'm confused on how you do this in a legal way and how you can do ot so that they can still go to college. Do you make a transcript?  You can make your own transcript in most states, but you need to be aware of the requirements your local universities have for high school courses. I plan to have my daughter either attend a private school for high school or go through an accredited homeschool program like Kolbe for high school - they will keep our records and ready our transcripts for us.

Thanks for your help!!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM

How's the junior K program working out? Like it?

Quoting BramblePatch:

My pre-k is using Memoria Press Jr. Kindergarten. My K is using mostly Christian Liberty Press 1st Grade but we add in Memoria Press Literature.

We do have a schedule...but it is flexible, lol. We school pretty much year round and take off here and there for whatever. We lost a week do to colds. We go camping a lot in the summer. We have 2 weeks in Yellowstone planned in September, etc....

Our style is definitely a mix of classical and traditional...leaning more to classical. We did try Waldorf/Relaxed for a bit and it was not for us.

I keep records in a homeschool planner. I am unsure of how it works later on.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Leapfrog movies reading tracing going to dollar store and buying leters nunbers shapes pictures of coloring to hang up aroung your house books to read going to library walking around your house out side your house to see what shape letter color or number you can hang up. You can learn and and where teach every where. Yes i do i have my oldest work since the second grade and my daughters since perschool and i use stuff to help with my two preschool now it helps alot my oldest child work i use for my middle child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oahoah
by Helping Hands on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM

This is our 2nd year with our 3 boys who are 8, 5, 3. I bought some used Abeka pre-k materials which we just have not used. We do a lot of sensory stuff and flash cards, I will get a lot of ideas from Pinterest, either low-cost or homemade. We also have tried several different types of curriculum but until recently haven't been able to find a good fit. I have tried KONOS which works with all ages but we go back & forth. Mainly we do a lot of reading aloud and we are leaning towards a Charlotte Mason style. 

I am still trying to establish a routine for us and a lot of times I will not push my boys into doing school work if they are just playing or we have errands to do.  I give them free time after breakfast while I am cleaning up and then we will read together or they have various workbooks they can choose to work in (a mixed supply, some are Sam's club, some are Abeka) . 

There are days when I am more organized, have prepared a lesson for the day or we are studying on a certain subject and I will tell them what we have planned the night before. I don't keep records yet (except for what I have to with my oldest) but I am saving some of their work for a portfolio-type binder. 

My 5 y/o is reading & writing pretty happily on his own most days whereas with my oldest who I pushed more into doing his writing, is still reluctant about it. My 3 y/o is writing and drawing a lot and he recognizes some smaller words and his name.  

From my past experience with my oldest, stressing out about schedules, curriculum, testing, etc;, I have relaxed a lot and let them do more unit study type learning and a lot of verbal work versus sitting and writing.  We play a lot of learning board games, Uncle Wiggily, Chutes & Ladders, to name a few. And we read a lot.

Sarahsmommy1008
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM

For records and scheduling - find out what the hs laws are in your state - try HSLDA.  This will also let you know if you have to keep a portfolios/records and/or meet certain hourly requirements once you reach the elementary level.

As for curriculums - for pre-K and K there are lots of free options out there, or you can choose to purchase one - it all depends on your teaching style and your child's learning style.  Several of the free options are:

• http://allinonehomeschool.wordpress.com/
  • http://www.letteroftheweek.com/
  • http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/index.html
  • and there are several others I can't think of right now. 

As for scheduling - we've tried several different ideas, but have yet to settle on one thing that works all the time for us, so you might have to try several to see what fits for your family.  We've tried scheduling every half hour from breakfast to lunch, we've tried having a checklist of things we want to cover each day and checking them off as we cover them, we've tried having broad topics we want to cover for the week and crossing them off as we cover them - this is still a work in progress for us.

The main thing is Pre-K and K is to make it fun (something I'm really having to work on)!

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Here are a collection of reading activities for pre-K/Kindergarten

Growing Readers

Are you Growing a Reader? Homeschooling your early reader? No need to buy an expensive curriculum to get your child off to a great start at reading. Do you want to avoid tedious, boring worksheets and instead learn through engaging hands on activities and play? Here are a collection of links on teaching your child to read and write for free:

Sight Words or Phonics? How about a balanced approach?

Some background on using a balanced literacy approach to teaching your child to read.

Early Alphabet Learning and the Name Game

How to begin teaching the alphabet and other early literacy skills to your preschooler or Kindergartner.

Kindergarten Sight Words and Early Reading Skills

What you need to know to get started teaching your Kindergartner to read including a look at some of the Common Core Standards for Kindergarten reading.

Kindergarten Sight Word Sentences

After you know about teaching sight words to your Kindergartner you are ready to move on to sentences.

Kindergarten Sight Words Reading Books

Once you start introducing your child to the sight words he is ready for his first emergent-reader book.

Beginning Phonics for Emergent Readers

Once your child knows most of the letters of the alphabet and their sounds he is ready to learn to "sound out" simple words. This post shows you lots of hands on multi-sensory ways to practice early phonics.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)