Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can someone explain to me the different "styles" of homeschooling pkease (:

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 393 Total Views
I know there are many. I just would like to know the differences and why you chose the one you did. Thanks you!
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

This link might help.

http://www.homeschool.com/Approaches/

No one approach worked for us so we went with eclectic, some unschooling and multiple intelligences with just a little classical thrown in.  All of those helped us in various ways. I think multiple intelligence is one of the MOST useful things to consider when chooses curriculum or how to teach / learn.

HistoryMamaX3
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
We're eclectic too... I just went with what felt good and found out later that we fall under a mix of classical and Charlotte Mason. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ruthmom802
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I chose the Charlotte Mason Method & Whole Books a few years ago. After being brought up on all the traditional home schooling sources like A Beka, BJU, CLASS...etc... This method just made sense to me and a little light went on upstairs...it was my "A HA!" moment.

I learned to ditch the tedium of textbooks and started to use whole books, or books written on an entire subject by one author who had a passion and specific knowledge on that particular topic. This way, the student gets soooo much more than a couple of paragraphs on (perhaps- Abe Lincoln's life)...  This method is terrific for Science, Nature Study, History, Bible, Social Studies, Music, Art and Foreign Language.

It is a good way to focus on character developement of young children in their formative years. The method tries to create whole hearted children who yearn to love God with all of their hearts. They should learn to develope a Godly character and learn to follow God's will and leading for their lives. Success is not measured on how many facts they have crammed into their heads while in school just to pass a test/tests, but how much they have retained and applied to their own lives. The child learns to be a Life Long Learner and will yearn for whole books and wisdom.

melgaleshaffer
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM

You will find that if you talk to a large number of homeschooling families most are eclectic to a certain degree.  We use Charlotte Mason/ Maria Montessori ideas and principles but lean towards unschooling.  We chose this method mostly out of trial and error.  The method a family uses is usually determined on how their children learn and what works best for the family.  Charlotte Mason and Maria Montessori methods are based around the idea of natural learning.  Unschooling (true unschooling) is child lead learning, however we aren't true unschoolers, but I totally agree and use some of the ideas from unschooling. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)