Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on CLE Math curriculum

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 299 Total Views

I have a 4 1/2 DD who I really want to start on a math curriculum.  I really like the looks of CLE Math 100, but although the introductory lessons seem to be right where she needs to start, I'm afraid it will get too hard too fast for a 4 1/2 yo. 

I have BJU Math K5, but since it is an out of print edition, I am unable to get the workbook for her to work through. I also have a bunch of the math workbooks you can get at the different dollar stores - with some work I could probably find a workbook page to match what the BJU Math is covering.

Should I just use the BJU or whatever until she's ready for the CLE?  Should we ignore math and focus on reading or science for the next 6-12 months and then revisit CLE?  If I use something for the next 6-12 months, assuming she learns some - would I still need to start at the beginning of CLE, or would I need to advance her in that curriculum?  I'm confusing myself...any advice?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I have not used CLE, but I think that even an advanced 4.5 year old probably should not be doing 1st Grade math....even if they can. A child needs to have the time for concepts to get ingrained in their brains. And remember, the first few weeks of most math programs are review, which is important....so when bumping up a grade, try not to skip parts because the review is helpful.

If you need a filler, Liberty Math K from Christian Liberty Press is a great program. My gifted kiddo did it at 4 (finished at 5) and is now on their 1st grade math at 5.5. Its a bit dry, but it gives a solid math foundation and is very thorough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarahsmommy1008
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Thanks for the recommendation!  I agree 1st is too advanced, which is why I was trying to figure out what to do.  For one thing, she's a very relunctant tracer (she's not a writer yet) and the 1st curriculums I've looked at seem to assume the child is writing.  I'll be working on that - I just need to figure out some way to make it writing fun for her.

I also want to good foundation, which is why I'm unsure skipping around the various workbooks I have is going to be a benefit.

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Make no mistake about it - while gentle, CLE is one of the more rigorous math programs. It isn't unheard of at all for most children to have to work a year below grade level in it.

On that note, I'm not sure I would start a 4 year old on CLE 1 *unless* the child is showing a gift in math and is able to easily form his letters, numbers, and shapes.

Are you in the market for something fun and a bit more gentle? Singapore Essentials Kindergarten (book A and book B). We're using it with my 3 year old this year and it's a great intro. Don't forget that beyond counting, a child needs practice in forming written numbers and shapes before moving into a first grade math program.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I just read your reply to Bramble.

You might consider Singapore Essentials and Memoria Press' numbers/letters books for tracing and writing practice (we plan to use those over the summer with my then 4 year old, before moving into a more writing intensive math program).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM
My 4.5 year old DD is doing the Memoria Press Jr. K, which includes the numbers/counting books. She could handle more math but I am really trying to focus on her writing. She, too, is a reluctant tracer and writer...so I feel we need to really focus on that right now. My DS was writing well by 4, so it was easier to put him in K math.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I just read your reply to Bramble.

You might consider Singapore Essentials and Memoria Press' numbers/letters books for tracing and writing practice (we plan to use those over the summer with my then 4 year old, before moving into a more writing intensive math program).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarahsmommy1008
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM
So, question for you more experienced moms - looking through these workbooks, I have several that have her starting with tracing lines, then letters, shapes, then tracing the color names. At this level, does it really matter what she's doing - is the real foundation when she officially starts school in another year and a half?
Sarahsmommy1008
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I guess my real question is - when we start K/1st, we'll obviously review what she already knows, probably skipping over some of the easier stuff. Will we be able after the first couple weeks of review to dive into whatever curriculum we choose and continue on, or will we need to possibly unlearn something we cover in a haphazard way?
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Well....thats tough. Say you learn math now using a number line but your next curriculum uses cuisinare rods....then there may be some relearning. Singapore teachers math by number bonds, in contrast to say straight facts like liberty math. Likewise with reading....there are different methods/styles....so some relearning could be needed.

I may be a minority but I do believe pre-k and K set the path for learning and I don't believe in keeping them super light or unschooling them. Most people will disagree with me, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)