Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

looking

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 267 Total Views

Hello ?? How is everyone today? Are there any work on their own curriculumfor high school Can you give me any pointers please?? Do you read the books the high school read?? How do you set up your science you do not have to what you do personally I just need pointers please I have my younger three just not my oldest one. I have language reading writing vocabulary most of it is science and socials studies. If you can I will great appreciated it in at advance. Thank you!!

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM

What kind of science and history are you looking for? Secular, young earth christian? Biology, physics, chemistry? For history are you looking for american/civics or world history?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Sorry trying to work on my own but biology anf physivs chemistry yes amerian civics and world history it is for 9th grade i have the younger ones sorry
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I have a 15yo DD in 10th grade.

I found a US History textbook that we use for the spine, then supplement with other things. We're using A Patriot's History of the US by Schweikert and Allen. It's definitely written from a conservative pov. A People's History of the US by Zinn is written from a different pov. As long as you know enough to see and discuss the bias from both sides, I'd pick either one. It's labor intensive for me because I read the chapters before she does so we can discuss the major points and I can grade her essays.

I read all her history and literature books before she does, or along with her, so we have a common frame of reference for discussion.

For science, we're fortunate to have access to a homeschool group with a mom who's a retired science teacher. She teaches high school science classes - Chemistry and Biology - weekly in her home and does labs with the kids there. DD is in the Chemistry class. They use Apologia for their science curriculum, which is Christian. I knew that I would have some difficulty with labs at home, and I was utterly unprepared to teach Chemistry, so it was a real blessing to find this opportunity. Definitely talk to some of the moms in your homeschool community about teaching science at the high school level.

We're using Teaching Textbooks for Alg 2. I discovered a little late in the game that their Alg 2 curriculum is incomplete without also doing Pre-Calc, so we're doing both this year. Despite some of its limitations, I'm glad we found this one because I am hopeless at math.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)