Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Vs. Unschooling

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 708 Total Views

I've been wanting to homeschool for years but I've always been afraid I don't have the patience to deal with it honestly... I'm really trying to find out as much about both as possible to figure out if this is the right step for my children... I'm a single mother but I work from home and can make my own schedule as to when I want to work. My son is 9 and has ADHD, he has a hard time with reading but I just can't tell if he hates school or not... My daughter is 6 but she is developmentally delayed of a preschoolers mentality and has an IEP in place.... We live in Central Florida, now can someone please explain the difference of these two things to me... If you unschool can your child have a diploma or is it a GED? I guess the same question can be asked for Homeschooling as well... 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leighp1
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM

I'd be interested in the answer to this question too.  I am in the panhandle of Florida.  Hopefully someone with knowledge of this will answer.

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM
3 moms liked this

Unschooling for me is the atmopsphere you create for your children. Do you copy school at home or do you let your child led in their own education? That is the first question. I live in PA one of the most reuglated states when it comes to home educating.  I have an 8 year old who does not sit and do school like he would at school. He really just does his own thing. He hates writing. So I cannot get him to do work sheets and things like that but he will write lists. What he wants for Christmas, what he wants for his birthday, what he wants to take to his friends house, what candy he wants at the movies.... I save those lists for his portoflio.  He watches films on animals, we are in a zoo class, we are in a co-op... I document those things and take lots of photos for his portfolio.  I have a 14 year old as well and he does school at home. He is not unschooled. But that suits him better.  Home educating, is home educating... you are able to educate your children in a way that is best for your child. You should also look up the laws for Florida. 

shoeshoegirl12
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:06 AM

i am exploring right now the difference between the two. And from what I have seen so for, there are parents who go as far as what  TiasTribe said by allowing them to study at their own pace and not bring PS to the home, OR I have seen parents who take this theory into parenting and go as far as Radical Unschooling , which is allowing the kids to decide what they believe is right or wrong in the world. 

My suggestion is to follow the email series I was told to follow for what Unschooling really is, here on Happy Homeschooling called Exploring Unschooling.  There are 10. Sometimes they help me understand and other times it brings up more questions. Good luck on your journey with homeschool. Rather it be unschool or what not. 

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM
I homeschool, but even regular homeschoolers can use unschooling techniques.

I could never just trust my children will learn what they need to know through life by itself. I would lose my mind. But I do a bit.

We have a loose schedule of what I want to get done in a week. The kids get a list of what they are suppose to do for each subject for the week.

They do their math on their own, though I have started teaching a short math class because my 6 year old is having issues with some concepts. My 8 year old chooses to sit in or not.

I do formal reading lessons with my son but we do not sit still during them. He loves to move and can not sit still. So we jump, run and play while reading. Science and history the kids choose the topics and we do lots of documentaries and hands on projects for.

We learn at amusement parks and field trips because that is the way we raise our kids. We learn from everything even if they do not know it!

Though some say unschooling is just learning through life I can not let mine do that alone. From looking things up I believe what I do is called eclectic homeschooling.

No matter if you unschool, create school at home or do something in between you will be successful if you find a way that works best for you and your kids.

Try it all and you can see what fits. Being flexible is my very best advice.!
jen2150
by Helping Hands on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Unschooling is homeschooling. Many unschoolers even use curriculum. There are many levels of Unschooling. Do as much unschooling as you feel comfortable. Sometimes I lead and sometimes I follow my children's lead. Read some books by John Holt.
TidewaterClan
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I'd say we're flexible homeschoolers.  We go on field trips and explore topics but I lead what we learn through curriculum and other resources.  I'm learning as much as my girls are, so I wouldn't take us on a full unschool route.  That's just us though!

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Unschooling is assuming that your child will learn what they need to know, in their own time, without being pushed or made to do it/learn it.

We aren't unschoolers; we more traditionally homeschool.

I would imagine an unschooler could get a GED - if they can pass the test (GED requires everyone to take a test).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

sepiasunfury
by Testing the waters on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I'm new to this as well. But as far as I know, anyone can try to get their GED once they are old enough. Unschooling children who want or need a diploma for a job or a college application go and get their GED when they are ready. I heard someone mention somewhere that there might be some very flexible online schools or groups that will give your child a transcript with grades but could be flexible enough to work with an unschooling philosophy.  Perhaps they offer a diploma? Anyone know? Now I'm getting way out of my depth.

Precious333
by Helping Hands on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Reading all these....i think I have more aspects of unschooling then I thought! Lol
bugfree
by Helping Hands on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Most of the people that I personally know that homeschool, us included, have at least one special needs kid.  The local public school wouldn't meet our needs, so I decided to do it myself.  It has been the best decision I have EVER made.  :-) 

Unschooling is a type of homeschooling.  In most areas won't get your child a highschool diploma.  I believe some school districts of states might be different.  Many of the people that live near me take two years of community college through a program in WA called running start or get an Associates degree since it is free for dropouts and homeschoolers are not working for a highschool degree.  The students then use the AA to go to a university.  Of course there might be other exciting programs that might be available for your child. 

The reason I mention that is the college near me has a special program for people with delays that focuses on life skills.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was something like this in your area, but I think mom's in your area in a similar situation would know best.  You can check my program in WA out here:  http://olsatbellevuecollege.com/  I have a friend with a son in this program and it has changed his life.  :-)  The department has been very supportive. 

Good luck in finding a place for your child.  I know what it is like to encourage a child to be successful, even when things are already stacked against them.  I think this is one of the most supportive groups you will find out there. 

Quoting Mommy4two: We live in Central Florida, now can someone please explain the difference of these two things to me... If you unschool can your child have a diploma or is it a GED? I guess the same question can be asked for Homeschooling as well... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)