Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of Singapore Math - any advice?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 243 Total Views

I have a 6 year old that learns quickly in math. I am teaching him with an old Silver Burdett Ginn text from a local parochial school. He did well and is in the 2nd grade book now. I want to get into something that will carry him into the higher grades without having to switch curriculum later on.

He is possibly/probably gifted. I gave him the Singapore 1A placement test and he aced it. So he would go into 1B because that has multiplication, which I have only briefly shown him. He does not like drills on paper, or tons of problems, he gets freaked out.

I read a lot online about this program compared to Right Start and Global Resources Japanese program, as well as others. Would this be an appropriate curriculum?

(sorry this is so disjointed)

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momtoBrenna
by Helping Hands on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM

My dd's gifted charter uses Singapore and I will be using it with my ds at home. It is a great program for kids who don't need a lot of repetition. 

Silverkitty
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Even if they need more repetition, there are the extra practice workbooks.  I"m going to work on SM K math with my son come this fall. 

pinkschoolhouse
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM

We are on our second year of using Singapore math. It is challenging, stresses critical thinking skills, and mental math. Sounds like it would be a good fit for your child.  

LovemyQ
by Kelly on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Thanks everyone :)

Mommy2Phenley
by Anne on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
We love Singapore. We were using MUS but it was boring DD with the repetition and slow pace. Singapore has been a good fit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN