Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas for 4 year old boy

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 301 Total Views

We will start homeschooling at the beginning of summer, my kids won't be enrolled in school for the fall.  My son is 4 and I have seen that is he very good at solving problems.  He is very clever.  So I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for activities or games that I could try with him.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frstldyhmsch
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome! Keep puzzles in the house...puzzles love to be solved. Also, grab some workbooks from your local dollar store and take trips to your local library often. My kiddos really enjoy http://www.pbskids.org where they can play educational games for free with their favorite characters.

Through the eyes of a "Teacher Momma " typing

http://www.branyact.blogspot.com/  Let's talk homeschool  

Ecoseem
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with the puzzles.  Maybe you could also come up with "problems" involving how to organize different numbers of things when putting them away?  

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Jenga would be a good game even Legos you could construct a shape & have him copy it. You could play memory with the actual game or make your own cards cutting out ages he knows from magazines and food boxes and sales ads. Other games would be dominoes which would help him learn to count if he doesn't already know, and checkers and chess. Have fun!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommyfish831
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Thank you :)

Quoting ncstress:

Jenga would be a good game even Legos you could construct a shape & have him copy it. You could play memory with the actual game or make your own cards cutting out ages he knows from magazines and food boxes and sales ads. Other games would be dominoes which would help him learn to count if he doesn't already know, and checkers and chess. Have fun!

No_Difference
by Nikki on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My little guy (he's 3) likes playing Who Gnu - its a spelling game basically, I think we got it at Target or Walmart years ago for my daughter... We also have a game called Silly Sentences or something like that...
Otherwise I agree with the other posters about legos and jenga.  I make crazy patterns with the colors of the legos, or the size (the number of circles on the top of the blocks even) and see if he can either make his own following the same rules or continue the pattern. We make "pattern city" that way and then his lego guys play there lol. He parks his cars in color patterns there then too lol.

Mommyfish831
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Thank you :) I saw silly sentences on amazon and put it on my list of things to get. Since I want to try unschooling I have been searching for our unschooling supplies there and fat brain toys.  I am happy to know I am going in the right direction.  

Quoting No_Difference:

My little guy (he's 3) likes playing Who Gnu - its a spelling game basically, I think we got it at Target or Walmart years ago for my daughter... We also have a game called Silly Sentences or something like that...
Otherwise I agree with the other posters about legos and jenga.  I make crazy patterns with the colors of the legos, or the size (the number of circles on the top of the blocks even) and see if he can either make his own following the same rules or continue the pattern. We make "pattern city" that way and then his lego guys play there lol. He parks his cars in color patterns there then too lol.

Ruthmom802
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

He may enjoy you reading mysteries to him... (appropriate for his age group)

My son enjoys setting "traps" for birds and other "pretend" animals with ropes or small chains and boards...Sometimes we think he's going to be an engineer. My DH almost chose that career path. I guess he comes by it honestly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN