Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help !!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 520 Total Views

Hello Ladies,

I have been tossing around the idea of homeschooling my 4 kids. One starts Pre-k in the fall and the others are in 1,3 and 4 grades. I really feel in my heart that my boys would benefit from it. They are having a really hard time in school now. My oldest 3 kids attitude has changed ever since starting school. They are mouthy,disrespectful and picking up bad language. I also dont like the idea of the being taught certain things.

So my question is has anyone ever started out in regular school and switched to home school and their kids attitude and behavior improved ? And how costly is it ? we have only one income coming in so thats also concern.

Any advice is muchly appriciated !

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM

My first two kids were in school up to grades 3 & 1. Then we began homeschooling after that. They are now 11 & 12 and have a 3 yr old little sister.

My DS 2 was not having problems in school, he behaved perfectly in school. The problem was he would come home and have a complete melt down. After keeping it together all day at school, he was a wreck at home. He had behavior problems at home that were significantly better during the summer and vacation time.

I think being at home has been great for him. Actually, it has been great for all of us, I can't imagine going back!

How much you spend varies a lot. You can get by spending very little $ on curriculum etc. 

What will your approach to homeschooling be? Traditional? Unschooling? Christian based? On-line or computer based?

What are the laws in your state? Are the charter schools available that you can join and will purchase curriculum and supplies for you?

Im in CA and we homeschool through a charter school which gives us a yearly "allowance" to spend on curriculm.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM

OMG- I could have written this almot word for word.. LOL

I will add that my oldet thought he wanted to go back to public school, as a freshman, this fall. That lasted all of 4 days before he begged to come back because the PS was such a waste of time.  Ds1

Quoting maggiemom2000:

My first two kids were in school up to grades 3 & 1. Then we began homeschooling after that. They are now 11  15 & 12 and have a 9 yr old little sister.

My DS 2 was not having problems in school, he behaved perfectly He has ADHD and struggled in  school. Then problem was he would come home and have a complete melt down. After keeping it together all day at school, he was a wreck at home. He had behavior problems at home that were significantly better during the summer and vacation time.

DS1 was beat up three times. twice on the bus, once before school in the playground.

I think being at home has been great for him. Actually, it has been great for all of us, I can't imagine going back!

How much you spend varies a lot. You can get by spending very little $ on curriculum etc. 

What will your approach to homeschooling be? Traditional? Unschooling? Christian based? On-line or computer based?

What are the laws in your state? Are the charter schools available that you can join and will purchase curriculum and supplies for you?

Im in CA and we homeschool through a charter school which gives us a yearly "allowance" to spend on curriculm.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Ruthmom802
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I was pulled out of regular school back in 1991 and taught at home in the 10th grade. It DRASTICALLY changed me! For the better...

I really felt like I matured and grew up so much from that time on. I became more family focused. Being around my parents more during the day opened my eyes and I fell in love with them more even at 15 years old. That's a hard age for young girls.

It might have helped a bit too much for me, though. Because when I was around other teens after that, I preferred to be with 20 somethings or adults. I just didn't like the immaturity anymore...the peer pressure just seemed so ridiculous. I probably seemed odd to the other teens...but now I don't regret anything. It helped me to become who I am today.

I homeschool my own son now and have learned so many more avenues of homeschooling other than PCC/ ABEKA/ BJU/ Class...etc... Homeschooling is a natural extension of what God intended the family unit to be. I hope you keep scooting this way in your desire to home-educate and it all falls into place for you and your precious kids! Good luck.  

Ruthmom802
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Oh, let me add: We are only on one income as well. I stay at home. 

Once people knew we were considering homeschooling they started giving me ALL their old books...I've got books coming out of my ears. Infact, just a few days ago another woman gave me 5 or 6 more 1st grade books.

The only expense we have HAD to pay is the yearly $75 registration fee to our Umbrella School. The rest is up to us. I have been given soooooo much stuff. I've only had to buy a few books and it was nothing compared to buying "curriculum in a box" from places like A Beka or BJU.

Get the word out to those you trust that you are interested in homeschooling, especially to those moms who do so already and they'll be happy to pass their old stuff onto you.  

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:33 PM

It can cost a lot but you can also do it on a shoe string with Internet and a library card.

My kids learned to get along better and be less competitive with each other. School teaches kids to only hang out with people in their own grade and to try to constantly do better than everyone else. Also it teaches one how to be rude and mean. Our family was MUCH happier together once we homeschooled for a while.

Deschooling is really helpful in the beginning. Do not expect things to get better right away.

Family meetings, behavior contracts and rules being enforced every time helps.

lovingmommy4316
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I am leaning towards christian based. we are very involved in our church. I didnt know about the charater schools so thank you !  We live in Georgia and what I found oout about the law is I have to have either a h.s diploma or ged (which I do) they have to school for 4 1/2 hrs a day for 180 days.

In both my sons classes there are like 25-27 kids in them ! to me thats to many fo 1 teacher. As of now dh doesnt think its a good idea... so i still need to convence him ! But that shouldnt be to hard.

if you have any info on the different approaches please let know. as of now i am leaning towards the christian based.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

My first two kids were in school up to grades 3 & 1. Then we began homeschooling after that. They are now 11 & 12 and have a 3 yr old little sister.

My DS 2 was not having problems in school, he behaved perfectly in school. The problem was he would come home and have a complete melt down. After keeping it together all day at school, he was a wreck at home. He had behavior problems at home that were significantly better during the summer and vacation time.

energygirl
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

A family at our church did that, and things seem to be improving. As for cost....you can homeschool for practically free (either with free online materials, or library resources that you pool together on your own) or you can buy used or new materials (ranging in price).  We are on one income as well, and have 3 kids (one in K...one in K next year..and one that just turned 3.)  

Horsegirl1972
by Testing the waters on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM

What part of California are you in? Is the charter school local to you? I am looking at homeschooling and would love some insight from another person in California...

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I am in Southern CA, outside of Los Angeles. We use a school called Gorman Learning Center. Other popular homeschool charters that I know of and have had gomeschoolers that are very happy with them are Sky Mountain and Golden Valley.

Here is a list of Homeschool Charter Schools in CA by County

Quoting Horsegirl1972:

What part of California are you in? Is the charter school local to you? I am looking at homeschooling and would love some insight from another person in California...

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Great link above by PP on charter schools in CA. I'm in Northern California and I'm with Connecting Waters Charter School. We actually live 2 hrs from the actual "school" but we only went there once to enroll. The teacher meeets with us once a month to check in. There are similar charters all over CA where you get a budget and choose your own curriculum and supplies from qualified vendors. The will even fund sports (PE) and music and art lessons. My kids will get skiing lessons next week paid for by the school.

There are other charter schools in CA that have a set curriculum that you use, like CAVA. CAVA, California Virtual Academy uses the K12 curriculum. They send you a computer and all of the needed materials and you use that curriculum (we tried it but it was too limiting for us).

Quoting Horsegirl1972:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)