Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello Ladies,

I have been tossing around the idea of homeschooling my 4 kids. One starts Pre-k in the fall and the others are in 1,3 and 4 grades. I really feel in my heart that my boys would benefit from it. They are having a really hard time in school now. My oldest 3 kids attitude has changed ever since starting school. They are mouthy,disrespectful and picking up bad language. I also dont like the idea of the being taught certain things.

So my question is has anyone ever started out in regular school and switched to home school and their kids attitude and behavior improved ? And how costly is it ? we have only one income coming in so thats also concern.

Any advice is muchly appriciated !

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Replies (11-17):
denmomof3
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My daughter attended public school up until her 5th grade year which she did complete.  This year (6th grade) I decided to homeschool her.  It wasn't so much that she had attitude or behaviors going on, it was that she wasn't thriving in the public school.  She is a bright kid and has so much potential but I saw her kind of withering away.  She was losing interest and getting discouraged and this started around her 4th grade year.  Part of it was that the class was moving along when it came to math but she was stuck in the same place.  I put her in tutoring through the schools.  Each tutor was assigned a group of 3-4 students at a time but I noticed that they were focusing on skills that she already knew instead of the skills that she was currently being taught.  Apparently, the school was requiring that the tutors only work on certain things that they wanted them to work on (not what the child needed).  I didn't quite get it and it felt like a waste of time. 

By her 5th grade year, she became even more frustrated.  Her teacher was new to the district and was great at humiliating the kids.  She would send my daughter to the board to do a math problem and if my daughter wouldn't know how to work it, she would simply belittle her and the kids would laugh.  My daughter lost even more confidence and would completely shut down.  I would try to work with her at home but she already thought that she just couldn't do it.  Her teacher would not communicate with me when I would email her and when I would go in person to speak with her, she would simply tell me that everything was fine and my daughter was doing well but was lazy.  I was constantly checking her grades online to see how she was doing and the teacher would wait until the end of the nine weeks to enter grades so I wasn't getting an accurate picture.  I spoke with the school counselor and principal about it but nothing ever changed.  Suddenly her report card would come out and she had D's and a couple of times F's!! 

Needless to say, I pulled her out and decided to homeschool since there are no other schools within our district because we live in a very rural area. She has thrived this year.  My daughter has caught up on the math skills that she was having trouble with (multiplication, division and fractions) and doesn't hesitate on doing math anymore.  If anything her attitude about herself has changed.

Curriculum can be expensive but it can also be fairly cheap, depending on what approach you would like to use.  Amazon has some great gently used textbooks for cheap that you can order for your kids.  If you like the online approach, there is Time4Learning which is about $20.00 per month and it gives you access to three grades.  Right now my 6th grader can use material in the 5th, 6th and 7th grades. There are free resources like Khan's Academy for math.  You could use your local library for material as well as the internet.  Good luck!

sally310
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I felt as though my kids just did better as a family, they have more respect and care toward each other.  In ps, its just all competition and bad language.  I knew it was time to get out when i went to a board meeting and the admin was so excited about "respect week"  and what a fun time the kids had.  Ok, so respect has been turned into a theme for the week, that says it all!!!!

My daughter was at the end of first grade and my son was at the end of 5th grade when i pulled them out.  I just wish i had taken them out sooner, in fact, never let them go in the first place.

And, don't worry, you can hs on a budget.  People are very generous and willing to help, plus the internet and the library.  You will find more than enough to keep everyone busy.

suziejax
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Yes & yes! Its only as costly as you want it to be. We have only one income as well.

YOU can do this. I have been for YEARS! I will be happy to help in any way I can!

lovingmommy4316
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Thank you ladies ! it is very encouraging to hear how well your kids are doing. That gets me excited for my kids. Thanks for the advice !

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Yes it has changed a lot reading level are higher because my oldest was in chapter one but he just wanted to read his own books. I have a 5 th grader a 8thgrader and two preschoolers. I used library for everything for my preschoolers I used the Dollar Store. I looked for free sites for them. Ask your children to help you out with your curriculum. Spelling words the words they need help with reading the books they want to read from the library. We watched the movies from leapfrog. Use everything around your house counting everything all round the house colors all round the house.

look up hypergrammar for language writing  reading

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

http://www.starfalls.com/

science energy force movement minerals animals body parts plants

History about you town city state country world 

Alycatalyst
by Testing the waters on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Yes.  We started out my oldest in regular/public school.  She was bullied.  The administrators offered no solutions, so I pulled her out mid-year and homeschooled.  I also pulled out my kindergartener, so that we would all be on the same schedule.  Yes, their attitudes changed.  They're not as competitive with each other because their sibling becomes their best friend too. 

As far as the cost, that's a big question.  Their are state funded charters that are free, but you have to use their curriculum, which may include some of the material that you don't want them taught.  I, personally LOVE Sonlight.  It's from a Christian perspective, but doesn't have to be.  They offer a very affordable payment plan.  It's also easy to use with multiple children.  I have 3.

tuffymama
by Helping Hands on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I withdrew my oldest at sixteen, and I should have done it sooner. Public school never met his needs, and he was miserable from second grade, on. My brilliant, funny boy became morose, sullen, despondent, and quiet, with no faith in humanity or hope for the future(!). After I took him out of school, he took a few months to regain his personal equilibrium and come out of his shell. I feel so guilty and angry sometimes when I think of all the wasted years, when I could have changed all of it for him so simply. Public school, for him and for me, was a giant time suck and utterly pointless. I will never put another child through that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)