Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If my 3rd gr. hates school now what would HS be like?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 342 Total Views

Just wondering if anyone has experience with a child who does not like school and was pulled out to HS. Did it benefit him?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Both of mine hated school and begged me to homeschool them in the 4th and 6th grades respectively. They were getting sick each week due to stress. It was horrible.

Homeschool helped but they had to prove to me they would do what I said, when I said it. There were times when we were all frustrated. I found many times that if I backed off and eased up we all did better in every way. I wish I'd felt I could deschool them. I believe we would have accomplished a lot more.

I wish we'd homeschooled from the beginning and that we'd unschooled.

That being said, both of my kids got scholarships for college. One got an academic scholarship the other got an athletic scholarship.

One is still in college loving it. It's her last year now. The other one hated the academic part of college and is now looking for a job. I'm okay with that. College is not for everyone. It wasn't for me or my husband. We both dropped out after three years.

leighp1
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:41 AM

My daughter never really hated school (at least she didn't say it).  I will say this, every morning at 9 she is yelling at me that it's time for school.  I am not sure if she does it because she wants to do school or if she wants to hurry up and finish so she can do what she wants to do.  The great thing about homeschooling is that they are not on any certain schedule (even though mine thinks she needs to start at 9).  Most days we get done before lunch and she has the rest of the day to play on her iPad. She is 11, if that helps.

imadekyle
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM

My third grader hated school ( he was pulled out of ps in second grade). I never even relized how much it was stressing him out till I pulled him. Now he loves to do school, most days :). He is finally "getting" it, and I know that has helped his stress leval tons. 

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM

That is one of the main reasons why I pulled my kids out of school after grades 1 &3. The 3rd grader was stressed out, the first grader was so exhausted after behaving "perfectly" all day that he came unglued when he got home. It was all work, work, work, no just enjoying learning. I thought at that age especially, school should be fun! They were both at the top of their classes academically, but I could see the love of learning quickly leaving them. They loved. To read for pleasure but were starting to enjoy reading less the more they were getting "points" for reading books. It was never, "was that a good book? Did you have fun reading it?" it was "how many points did you get for reading it."

While they don't always jump for joy when I have them do a math lesson, for the most part they have fun. They are now in their 4th year of homeschooling and have no desire to go back.

momluja
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

How did they get scholarships? Did your daughter play sports for a public school?

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM

My son was always in school. Toddler school, Preschool, Kindergarden (2 times) and 1st grade.  He hated school. He hated school so much that he was sent home almost every other week his 1st grade year. He refused to do work. He refused to particpate. He would hide and teachers would have to go look for him. Every morning was a nightmare and every day my phone would ring. Here he is , 1st grade cannot read, cannot write, cannot spell,  will not sit with the kids at lunch, and does everything in his power to be sent home. It was so bad he would not even let me read to him. He equated it with school. When I brought him home to home school him I would try to give lessons, he would fight me. I would try to read to him he would fight me. He would not do any written work, science projects, nothing. Finally I stopped fighting him. I made 4 workboxes (history/science, math, reading/spelling, and extras) He could choose to do the work in the boxes and earn stickers or he could not do the work. Either way it was his choice.  After laying off and letting him make choices, work at his own pace and schedule, and not interfering with his learning process... he is changing leaps and bounds... not just in school work but him as a person. We had so many issues with them, from transition, to bathing, to brushing teeth... no he is doing them all fine and on his own. Bringing him home and letting him just be him was the best thing we could have ever done for him.  I can only expect it will get better  :)

Life is simple, We make it but we make it complicated. 

http://tinasblogok.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN