Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about homeschooling..

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 253 Total Views
My son will be 4 in two weeks he is currently in pre pre school. He is bullied a lot and doesn't care to go. We live in a bigger town and I personally hate big town school systems. I'm just wondering where you start!! I want him to still be involved, once old enough in the school system with sports, music, and extra classes. But I would love to have him home with me learning everything else. How did you start? What improvements did you see in your child when starting? Is all that time worth it?
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM

In most states kids are not required to be schooled until they are older so techically you don't have to do anything. And that might be the very best way to go.

Deschooling

http://justenough.wordpress.com/2006/10/09/deschooling-gently/

and unschooling

http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/earl_stevens.html

Then just enjoy your child and let him enjoy being home with you.

Stressing over making your child learn or doing what the public or private schools are doing or doing enough won't help you or them. I wish someone had told me that when I began and that I could have wrapped my head around it and believed it.

Love them. Like them. Trust them. Support their dreams even when you don't like or understand what they are. This is the best gift you can give anyone. It's also a gift that will allow them to do things that will impress you over the years.

oaron5555
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Get on yahoo or meetup website and join a homeschooling group.  It sounds like you live in a big town or city and I can probably guarantee there is a homeschooling group.  Usually these groups meet once or twice a week for park playdates and plan fun activities to do as a group.  It will be a great way for you to meet other parents and kids who homeschool.  I have found homeschooling parents at these groups are very informative  and helpful. Plus your child can meet other homeschooling kids:)  There are so many different ways to homeschool...unschooling, charters, independant study, k-12, completely independant.  You will be able to see the different ways people do things and figure out what works best for you and your family.  I  use a charter school.  We love it because we can choose our own curriculum and they give us a monetary budget each semester to use for extra curricular activities like sports, music, group classes, art, science materials....etc. etc.  and  I don't have to keep records.  But what ever path you choose going to a park meetup with other homeschooling families is a great way to get started since your child is still sort of young.  It will give you time to pick other moms brains about the ins and outs of homeschooling. 

ArkinsMomma
by Testing the waters on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Hi. I had the same problem before. A friend shared this link (http://community.nestlearning.com/choosing-homeschool-curriculum-to-supplement-traditional-school/) It helped me, i hope you too. :)

Truebesos
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

We just checked out alot of book on homeschooling and followed blogs.  After a few weeks of taking in the scope of things, I "played" homeschool.  I used the workbooks from the dollar stores and saw how my child and I interacted.  I adjusted from there.

As far as keeping them involved, it is usually available in bigger towns.  4H, city league sports, church functions, boy/girl scouts, etc.  Check with your local museum and zoos, they usually have day camps that help keep kids socially intereacted.  Good luck, I think it is so exciting when you delve in to homeschooling!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)