Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High School Curriculum

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 208 Total Views

My oldest is currently cyber schooled but I will be cutting the public school cord next fall. He will be in the 9th grade. I think it is critical at this age to help him focus on his passions and goals for adult hood. He wants to be a Biomedical engineer. He loves Math, Sciences, and History. I have only homeschooled an elementary student who is basically unschooled. I need some good , fun, interactive and interesting curriculum for my H.S.  I would love some suggestions! Thank you !!!

Life is simple, We make it but we make it complicated. 

http://tinasblogok.blogspot.com/

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Are you making up you curriculum or you want to buy one
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

What does his math sequence look like thus far (as in, does he already have algebra under his belt?)?

Have you looked at your local university requirements to discern if specific maths and sciences are required, or are you free to focus on his interests in science?

Does he have formal grammar under his belt already and you can move into only studying that in context? How are his writing skills?

While I'm not normally a fan of following state suggestions, once you get to high school with a college geared child, you kind of have to play their game - any university will require transcripts and those course/credit requirements must be met.

I suggest Manga for foreign language.

Vocabulary Workshop is a great choice for vocab and produces great SAT scores for most users.

Kolbe Academy has a great literature program.

As a matter of fact, I would look at Kolbe Academy if I were you - even if only for text suggestions. It is a Catholic program and I can't suggest you use it if you aren't Catholic (their theology is mandatory in high school; not so for their lower grade programs), but you CAN buy their courses individually. They are very solid and rigorous in the maths and sciences.

I might also suggest, besides a modern foregn language, Latin since he plans on a STEM field. The "First Form" series by Memoria Press is a great option (First Form through Fouth Form would give him a great footing in Latin).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Thank you so much! That is great information. He is taking Algebra now. His grammar and spelling would be his weakness. We are Catholic so that program might work for us. And he is currently taking Latin with K12 but I do not find it very rigerous.  

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I just looked at their site, love it! Thank you so much!@!

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Yay! Just an fyi in case you didn't notice on their site - Kolbe is a fully accredited program attached to an actual brick and mortar private school, so their cred transfer onto transcript easily.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I think my husband will like that aspect... that it is attached to an actual brick and mortar school.  I'll have to look into PA law... I wonder because it is a part of a school if I will have to do a portfolio?  Also each course is taught by the parents correct? Do they have live lessons or some one you can work with from the actual school? I love that its a Catholic program! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)