Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Srew highschool, Let them go to a JR college early???

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 414 Total Views

Anyone just say ... "ah, let them go to college early? My child already knows all the basics, how much of a reading comprehension difference is a 14 year old to a Jr. college level?"

I am in a Jr. College right now and it feels like high school! The reading, the homework, the lectures. So, I am thinking about letting my 13  going to be 14 year old take a class or two at the same JR. college  I am at for his school work next fall. If not, what do you guys do for High School Homeschooling then?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Around here, kids can do dual enrollment when they're upperclassmen. If DD stays home next year, we'll probably do Physics and Pre-Calc at community college.

MyVavies
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Ya... I taught him the basics of Physics, probably at a high school levels worth.However,  I don't know. I didn't go to high school.

If he goes to a JR. College next fall, He would probably take Astronomy and English Comp I. No more then 2 at first.

How old is your Daughter, and what does the initials DD really mean anyways.. sorry , never found out.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Around here, kids can do dual enrollment when they're upperclassmen. If DD stays home next year, we'll probably do Physics and Pre-Calc at community college.

SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

She's 15. DD = Dear Daughter. Most of the reason she wants to go back to high school is to take the Honors Physics class instead of the General Physics that our co-op does.

I remember doing a ton of math in my Physics class in high school and I'm not set up to do that level of math on my own. DD just finished learning about imaginary numbers and I swear, I nearly blacked out. Trig and Physics were my downfall in school. Thank goodness for DH! He's an engineer and sits with her several nights a week to go over her math lessons.

HistoryMamaX3
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I have a cousin that began taking classes at the local community college when he was 16... he officially 'finished' high school (via home school) but was already a credited transfer student when he was 18 and moved right over to the university level as a end of term sophmore. He continued his education there and was able to graduate with a Master's degree at at 23.

It can be done rather easily, if that is what the student is driven to do. I've seem many different ways of achieving the same thing, this route, however, seems to make the most sense to me and I will be urging my children to follow suite as needed.

MyVavies
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

What about a Freshman in High School.. someone 14? You know how mature homeschoolers are!

Quoting HistoryMamaX3:

I have a cousin that began taking classes at the local community college when he was 16... he officially 'finished' high school (via home school) but was already a credited transfer student when he was 18 and moved right over to the university level as a end of term sophmore. He continued his education there and was able to graduate with a Master's degree at at 23.

It can be done rather easily, if that is what the student is driven to do. I've seem many different ways of achieving the same thing, this route, however, seems to make the most sense to me and I will be urging my children to follow suite as needed.

HistoryMamaX3
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I know many home schoolers that have entered into the realm of community college at all levels in high school. It depends upon the child! I know my cousin waited until he was 16 because he had to drive, but probably would have gone earlier if there were a way to get there.

Community colleges teach many courses that include very beginning math and writing skills. You have to pay for it, but if you can and your child is willing- why not?

Quoting MyVavies:

What about a Freshman in High School.. someone 14? You know how mature homeschoolers are!

Quoting HistoryMamaX3:

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Let me say this. I took AP classes in high school. They were HELL. When I went to college 2 years later (was burned out so I waited) a community college was sooooooooooooooo easy compared to that. I then transferred to a state school, and that was even easier (PS  I was in a city rich with colleges, so half my professors taught at a lot of the big name and private schools that cost 2 or 3 times more!). I am seriously considering having DS do dual-credit when we get to high school. I've just now looking into this even though he's only going into 6th because next year he'll be taking Algebra I and I needed to know if I could/should include it on his transcript.

PS  You can also have children any age take the CLEP exam and get college credit if the score is high enough.

And our state, if the professor and the child's school allows it, allows any K-12 student to take community college classes.

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM

What state are you in?

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM

We have dual enrollent here as well. I think thats your best bet. 

Pukalani79
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

The state college here and the community college both allow high schoolers to start taking classes early. I think it depends on the chid and their maturity level.  It's something I'd look into.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)