Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Srew highschool, Let them go to a JR college early???

Posted by   + Show Post

Anyone just say ... "ah, let them go to college early? My child already knows all the basics, how much of a reading comprehension difference is a 14 year old to a Jr. college level?"

I am in a Jr. College right now and it feels like high school! The reading, the homework, the lectures. So, I am thinking about letting my 13  going to be 14 year old take a class or two at the same JR. college  I am at for his school work next fall. If not, what do you guys do for High School Homeschooling then?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (11-14):
MyVavies
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I am in good old Kansas, Wichita.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

What state are you in?

amberstars
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM

What is Jr. College?  Near mom's we have our community college, the vocational school, and a regional branch of the university.  At my old high school (where I went for 12th grade) you were allowed to do dual-enrollment once you hit 11th grade.  I don't know about community college but I went to the branch and it was difficult. LOTS more homework then I ever had in high school.  Sitting in a classroom for anywhere from 2-4 hours a class (Geography 120 Summer Quarter was 4 hours long as it was only 5 weeks).  I will give you a three examples of 'homework' I had in spring quarter.  Math is not my strong subject.  Never was. The lowest math class is Precollege Mathematics 1 @ The Ohio State University in Newark, OH (where I was).  That took me HOURS to complete.  I never did manage to get through all my History homework.  I was often up until 12-1AM doing homework-reading history, reading my textbook for ED P&L-modules were only allowed to do in class, trying to do three sections of math.  Spring Quarter I was in school from 8-5:19 PM.  Arranged my schedule so I would have a four hour break between HIS 151 and ED P&L 259 to try to begin my homework in between classes.  Then homework when I got home.  After dinner continued working on homework. I'd get up at 7AM to get to school by 7:30 to get to class on time. I would say it depends on the maturity level of the child on if they can handle college at that young an age.

History 151

2 chapters of textbook

Couple chapters of whatever book we were reading (Benjamin Franklin and then Franklin Douglas).

Mid-terms we downloaded off of Carmen (what Ohio State University uses for online classes/some classes also post stuff up online) and had to get them done by a deadline. 

Precollege Mathematics 1

Three sections of homework to be done by Friday.  Quizzes every Friday.  Three Mid-terms plus the final.

ED P&L 259

Read 3 chapters of Hope book a week

All modules per chapter-let's see I think there were 10 per chapter

Weekly Portfolio assignments-one per module

MyVavies
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM

A jr. college is a community college. We call them jr here in Kansas.

And wow.. our 4 year are like that but not our community colleges. Also, my kids would only do 1 or 2 classes at first.  I can't believe they were so hard. I have so much time on my hands and I am a full time student at our jr. college.

Quoting amberstars:

What is Jr. College?  Near mom's we have our community college, the vocational school, and a regional branch of the university.  At my old high school (where I went for 12th grade) you were allowed to do dual-enrollment once you hit 11th grade.  I don't know about community college but I went to the branch and it was difficult. LOTS more homework then I ever had in high school.  Sitting in a classroom for anywhere from 2-4 hours a class (Geography 120 Summer Quarter was 4 hours long as it was only 5 weeks).  I will give you a three examples of 'homework' I had in spring quarter.  Math is not my strong subject.  Never was. The lowest math class is Precollege Mathematics 1 @ The Ohio State University in Newark, OH (where I was).  That took me HOURS to complete.  I never did manage to get through all my History homework.  I was often up until 12-1AM doing homework-reading history, reading my textbook for ED P&L-modules were only allowed to do in class, trying to do three sections of math.  Spring Quarter I was in school from 8-5:19 PM.  Arranged my schedule so I would have a four hour break between HIS 151 and ED P&L 259 to try to begin my homework in between classes.  Then homework when I got home.  After dinner continued working on homework. I'd get up at 7AM to get to school by 7:30 to get to class on time. I would say it depends on the maturity level of the child on if they can handle college at that young an age.

History 151

2 chapters of textbook

Couple chapters of whatever book we were reading (Benjamin Franklin and then Franklin Douglas).

Mid-terms we downloaded off of Carmen (what Ohio State University uses for online classes/some classes also post stuff up online) and had to get them done by a deadline. 

Precollege Mathematics 1

Three sections of homework to be done by Friday.  Quizzes every Friday.  Three Mid-terms plus the final.

ED P&L 259

Read 3 chapters of Hope book a week

All modules per chapter-let's see I think there were 10 per chapter

Weekly Portfolio assignments-one per module

YzmaRocks
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I know that in WA state they can go to college while still in high school and I believe it is paid for by the state. I think. My brother and sister did it. One of my friends went at 15 and graduated with her two year degree at 17, then transferred to a 4 year college.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN