Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online School Frustration

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 276 Total Views

I get so frustrated and stressed doing this online school thing.  Our high school here isn't great, so I don't feel that I have much of a choice.  I send him to school, and they just pass him along, even if he isn't really passing.  I feel like I have to try this so he doesn't get lost in the shuffle, but no one really supports my decision, not even the school counselor.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Homeschoolmom99
by Helping Hands on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I am having trouble with them because of the game sites they have Iready and study island drives me batty! I use k12

leighp1
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:23 AM

You have to do what is best for your child.  My friend was discouraged against the online school too, but she did it her way and her son is doing well again.  We have Florida Virtual School here and my older daughter has used them for a couple of classes only and their teachers are wonderful and very helpful.  Hope things work out for you.

Cath777
by Testing the waters on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I know I have to do what's right for my kid, but it's hard when no one around you thinks it's the right thing.  We did Colorado Virtual Academy last year, but this year we are using lincolninteractive.org, which is MUCH harder.  I somehow have to teach my kid to learn.  We have a saying, "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you"!

Cath777
by Testing the waters on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Study Island drove us crazy too!  There's so much pressure to meet their deadlines.  That's why we switched online schools.  There's still deadlines, basically be a certain percentage done by the end of the semester, but the study island type work, called connections in our program, can be done any time during the school yeart.

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I use K12 Agora in PA and hate it.  For LA alone we have 4 different websites to go to to complete assignments and I am so over Benchmarks, Study Island, and Pathways... Next year we are going at it alone. I am really leaning towards Kolbe Academy curriculum. 

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

See I am more frustrated now! We started late, Oct. So my son is behind in the lessons. The teacher now in the new quarter sends us all a calendar of what work needs to be completed. This way we are all on the same page. Well she sends me the schedule that all the other kids are on, not my son. So what the caldendar is telling me and what is on the OLS are totally different things. I thought this was tailored to my child? Where is his schedule? I am so over it already. 

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM
My son started k12 in December and we were told if he wasn't at the semester exams. By the end of semester in January he would fail and wouldn't have any wiggle room to fail again. Because he was in BM school before entering k12 he was given opportunity to take semester assessments and skip work if he passed and would also earn credits-luckily he passed but had I known prior that's how it worked I wouldn't have put him in the program.

Quoting TinasTribe:

See I am more frustrated now! We started late, Oct. So my son is behind in the lessons. The teacher now in the new quarter sends us all a calendar of what work needs to be completed. This way we are all on the same page. Well she sends me the schedule that all the other kids are on, not my son. So what the caldendar is telling me and what is on the OLS are totally different things. I thought this was tailored to my child? Where is his schedule? I am so over it already. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM

They never told us any of that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)