Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting homeschooling in the middle of a school year?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 295 Total Views

My dd is 13 and in 8th grade and she is really fed up with public school. She was homeschooled in 4th and 5th grade, but then I had to put her back in public school bc I am a single mom and I no longer had a job where I could stay home and teach her and she was not old enough to stay home alone. 6th grade was okay, 7th not as good but tolerable, but this year she just hates school. She hates the other kids who are noisy and always getting into trouble, the cursing, the material that is too easy for her, the teachers who are so impatient with students, just everything. 

I had asked her in the past if she wanted to go back to homeschooling and at that time she said no. She was excited about going to high school, and all that goes with it, but now she says she wants to do homeschooling again. I'm thinking of k-12 curriculum but I can't sign her up for that until fall. They apparently won't accept students mid year. So I am thinking of trying to get some homeschool books and just letting her do a potpurri of curriculum materials until the school year ends.

So my questions are 1) Is it a problem to take a student out of public school in the middle of the school year? Will they give me a hard time about that?

2) What curriculum do you all suggest? I have used Abeka for math before and I like it but I don't know if I want to use it for the other subjects. I don't necessarily need all the subjects that they list in their kit either. Math, language arts, science, and social studies are most important. She has already studied PE and health this year. Art and music are not that important right now, I don't think. Bible she gets at church, and I've never found a Bible curriculum that we both like anyway. And foreign language she can do next year. So any recommendations? It doesn't have to be all from the same company. Thanks so much!

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NightOwls
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM

In my state, it is no big deal to remove your child in the middle of the year. You just have to have your CPI (Competent Private Instruction) form filled out and turned in within two weeks of removing. You will need to look at your homeschooling laws. (Your state name + Department of Education)

Hopefully, some of the other moms will chime in for curriculum.  We only use secular materials, so I don't know if you would be interested in those. Good luck to you.

pce68
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I don't mind secular materials. I think I originally used Abeka because a friend gave it to me, and my dd liked the way they covered the material. I am a Christian but the homeschool material or the company it comes from does not have to be. If you have suggestions on materials, feel free to let me know. We would probably be doing 9th grade material bc right now she is in the gifted program at school and they are doing material a grade ahead.

Quoting NightOwls:

In my state, it is no big deal to remove your child in the middle of the year. You just have to have your CPI (Competent Private Instruction) form filled out and turned in within two weeks of removing. You will need to look at your homeschooling laws. (Your state name + Department of Education)

Hopefully, some of the other moms will chime in for curriculum.  We only use secular materials, so I don't know if you would be interested in those. Good luck to you.

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Idid pull my children out in the middle of the school. I tested them to see where they were at. For english in the search bar i typed in hypergrammar that really helped with reading writing and english.
www.teacherpaysteacher.com
The i looked to the left hand side how much you want to spend and grade level and you can down load to your computer.
Damand.com
Password: BOB

Quoting pce68:

I don't mind secular materials. I think I originally used Abeka because a friend gave it to me, and my dd liked the way they covered the material. I am a Christian but the homeschool material or the company it comes from does not have to be. If you have suggestions on materials, feel free to let me know. We would probably be doing 9th grade material bc right now she is in the gifted program at school and they are doing material a grade ahead.

Quoting NightOwls:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I pulled all three of mine out in the middle of the school year (at different times).  In Oregon it's not a big deal either. You send in a letter of intent and let the school you're done.  You may get some flack from the administration, but it's their problem and you don't have to explain anything.  Mine are all still in elementary, so I can't recommend anything as far as curriculae goes, but good luck!

tuffymama
by Helping Hands on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I withdrew my then high schooler halfway through. I told them I would be homeschooling and they said I just needed to sign a release form so the school board would know. I asked for a copy of the form and mailed it myself, because that school had already dropped the ball so many times. I'm in Florida.
"So I am thinking of trying to get some homeschool books and just letting her do a potpourri of curriculum materials until the school year ends." I want to warn you of something that isn't a bad thing: if she starts out this time selecting her curriculum and direction of study, you may be stuck with her educating herself ;0). Also, please read what has been discussed about K12 on this board and the other homeschool board recently. K12 doesn't look so good.
pce68
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I have read about k-12 and I am a little unsure, but we haven't committed yet. We may give it a try and see what we think or we might stick to what we are going to be doing now. I'm not sure yet. There are a lot of homeschoolers in my area, and I'm sure if we decide NOT to use k-12 we can still come up with an effective curriculum. I went to to a large homeschool bookstore and bought materials for math, science, vocabulary, and history. I haven't gotten any literature books yet, but I think I will just get some classic books and lit guides.

Quoting tuffymama:

I withdrew my then high schooler halfway through. I told them I would be homeschooling and they said I just needed to sign a release form so the school board would know. I asked for a copy of the form and mailed it myself, because that school had already dropped the ball so many times. I'm in Florida.
"So I am thinking of trying to get some homeschool books and just letting her do a potpourri of curriculum materials until the school year ends." I want to warn you of something that isn't a bad thing: if she starts out this time selecting her curriculum and direction of study, you may be stuck with her educating herself ;0). Also, please read what has been discussed about K12 on this board and the other homeschool board recently. K12 doesn't look so good.

tuffymama
by Helping Hands on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Quoting pce68:

Yes! Just let her read all the classics you can get her to read. There are tons of lists you can google. "100 books you should read before college" is a list, I think.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)