Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it possible to unschool only 1 of multiple children?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 293 Total Views

Not sure my question made sense but my oldest child (8) is my likely candidate for unschooling; meanwhile his younger brothers love everything he doesn't - writing, following directions, etc; So I am wondering if anyone has just 1 child who is unschooled but has curriculum for other children?  Right now the majority of the school day is spent with me trying to convince DS of the work he needs to be doing; I usually have some type of project for my younger boys (5 & 3) and they can follow directions really well and are pretty independent. It just feels backwards, I am trying to change things so my oldest is independently working and I am spending more time with his younger brothers or even all 3 of them. Aside from devouring reading, there isn't a lot of "school" that he enjoys.  Even fun, hands-on stuff I have tried to get him involved in he says "no thanks".   A lot of times he will have great ideas, detailed and planned out for a project and I will be encouraging & supportive and get him all he asked for and then he stops, either changes his mind & doesn't want to follow-through or gets started & then is done, lost interest.  Do I make him finish what he started?  Any advice/answers/suggestions are appreciated.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM
I think it is definitely ossible. As they get older the learning styles of the younger two will become more obvious and who knows where that will lead you.

I would definitely make the oldest follow through. He picked the theme/activity, esp. since you purchase things for him. He needs to learn to finish what he starts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bugayfamilyof4
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I am so glad you posted this !! I am in the same boat with my 9 year old. I think I am going to do it.  I need to do something to change things up with her. I will friend you !!

Pukalani79
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

My youngest has daily migraines so she is not able to do a lot of "book work" because she physically cannot concentrate for long periods of time.  The older two follow Oak Meadow's curriculum, but my little one participates as she's able, but learns more just from life. 

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Totally , I do it every day. My oldest does school at home and he likes it that way. My youngest hates anything that resembles school. My oldest gets it and he is ok with how is brother is learning.  My kids do have a 5 year age difference so that might be part of why it works so well here but everyone learns differently, thats why we homeschool. 

Anna92464
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM

When my 2 girls were small, my oldest loved order, and workbooks, etc.....so I let her have them.  When she wanted grades, she had those.....we had a formal classroom for a while.....Her younger sister was the opposite....I had cirriculuum for her, but we tossed it out for a year and she worked that year with her dad building me a laundry room....My oldest hated the idea of unschooling, but in my opinion, that is what she was doing, because she was learning the way she wanted to, to get grades.  Today, she is married with a child of her own.  He is in public school because that is the life she craved for herself, and that is okay....It was her choice....Her sister just graduated from college with an associates in accounting.  She got a job and paid cash for her schooling while living at home....she liked her freedom in education, and does things her own way, and that is a wonderful thing....She is currently looking for a job in her field, but doesn't plan to stay there...she has hopes of saving up and doing some travelling on her own....She will be 23 soon, and is very successful in her life because she is living it on her terms......My son has a cirriculuum, and likes doing math with it.....He is really into theater and takes voice lessons, and acting classes....he may be taking dance soon.....He is excelling in tae kwon do, but thinks he'd like to quit, soon.....He keeps getting hurt, so I agree with him....He LOVES movies and the twilight series and hunger games are his favorites, and he has read all of the books, too.  Right now he has a Kindle which he loves, and also loves everything electronic....He is working with his dad on a computer controlled home for his aunt who is quadreplegic.....Our life doesn't necessarily look like unschooling because there is a lot of fear involved coming from my husband and his family.  It is a struggle, but ......My advice is yes, it is okay to unschool one of your kids because letting your other learn the way he wants is also unschooling, imo...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)