Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need a good k4 and k5, our first year!

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 261 Total Views
I need a complete curriculum as I dont have time to put it together myself. I work full time and am due with twin boys in April. My oldest is starting k this year and I have one that will be turning 4 in nov. I would like to do them together and am leaning towards my fathers world. I'm just worried about the prep time. I looked at sonlight but I don't think they will sit that long for me to do all that reading. Reviews say abeka has a lot of busywork, which I also don't have time for. What else can I look into? I don't think an exclusively online curriculum will work for us since I need the complete thing and I want to teach them and do things with them, at least at first. I would like a Christian complete curriculum that is not solely reading aloud. Help! Sorry to ramble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OneDay.
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I haven't used any of these, so I don't know if they would work for you, but some other complete Christian curriculums I can think of off the top of my head are Christian Light Publications, Bob Jones (I think that's a lot like Abeka though), Horizon's, LifePac. 

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM
3 moms liked this

You honestly do not need any "curriculum" for that young an age.  They learn all they need through every day interactions and play.  Just read to them, play games, do puzzles, color, ect...   If you just really want to spend money on a curriculum Abeka is a really good one. Just do not buy all the extra stuff.  All I ever bought for the elementary grades was the student text.  Once they got up to middle school I would also buy the teacher's for me. 

JadensMommy820
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! The only thing I've decided on for sure is handwriting without tears, I think it will really work for us. I think the curriculum is more for me than the kids, I want to do at least a little (30 mins or so) of "school" each day, I don't want him to be 6 or 7 and suddenly be expected to work when I've let him just play. I know he is learning through play, he can read a lot of sight words and count and recognize letters and knows sounds and numbers, I think I worry too much since we're just starting. I'm going to look into the ones mentioned. Again thank you! Little overwhelming :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Memoria Press Jr. K and K are greatnprograms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM
www.handsonhomeschooling.com
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

This. You really don't need curriculum, much less a full curriculum. Personally the most I would do other than games, gardening, cooking, park and library  time is something that is reading aloud such as Five in a Row. I would not be focusing on handwriting by which, I'm hoping you mean printing. In the best of all possible worlds, learning should be about natural interests the child has not a curriculum.

Quoting bren_darlene:

You honestly do not need any "curriculum" for that young an age.  They learn all they need through every day interactions and play.  Just read to them, play games, do puzzles, color, ect...   If you just really want to spend money on a curriculum Abeka is a really good one. Just do not buy all the extra stuff.  All I ever bought for the elementary grades was the student text.  Once they got up to middle school I would also buy the teacher's for me. 

starbeck96
by Becky on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM

While I agree that Abeka has a lot of busywork, you can tailor it to fit your needs.  I use Abeka and it only takes us about 1-2 hours everyday.  We don't use videos so I teach everything. 

If you want to use the videos you can still tailor those to fit your needs as well, as long as you are not using accredited.

Abeka has a very good phonics and reading program.

ANother curriculum to consider is Lifepac.  I am not familiar with their younger grades though.  My boys are in 9th grade and used it for Science this year.  They liked it so much that we will be using mostly Lifepac for them next year.

ACE is another curriculum to consider.  I've not used it, but I know several who do.

I've heard that Horizons is good, but I;ve not ever used it.

starbeck96
by Becky on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I forgot to mention that she is in kindergarten and I didn't buy all the extra stuff for my daughter.  I only bought the student workbooks  (I did not get any of the science or history curriculum, I made up my own stuff for that).  If we didn't do science/history we could finish easily in 30-45 minutes every day.

3decades
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Time4Learning is online, but is very good. It can be used as a complete curriculum, or just to supplement. It scores activities and keeps records for you.  It is not a Christian curriculum, but we supplement by doing Elevate at Home as our Bible study. 

FIAR, Five in a Row is good for younger ones, but requires you reading to them. We loved this one, but outgrew it.

3decades
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I would like to add that the kids I know (including my oldest son) who did ACE, and Lifepac were way behind their public school peers in High School...

Abeka is on target and advanced in some areas.

This may not matter in early years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)