Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potential homeschooler here :)

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 250 Total Views

So, I've been thinking of homeschooling my children. My son is 4, he turns 5 at the end of May, and my daughter is 3. They are both SO READY to go to school and my son is just so excited that he turns 5 in a few months and will be going to school. How do I decide if this is right for me and if I decide it is how do I break the news to them?

I'm thinking of starting "School" as soon as Monday just to test it out for all of us. WHERE DO I START?!?!?!? lol

ANY and ALL help, advice, etc will help me SO MUCH. Thank you ladies. BTW, my name is Amanda :)

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM
We started when my kids were 3 and 4. My youngest is nearly 5 now and we are using Memoria Press Jr. K.....but as a trial run, I recommend something free like 1+1=1. She has great preschool packs. Starfall.com is great for phonics. There is also a free math called MEP (google Math Enhancement Programme and look at Reception Year). You can also chech out www.simolycharlottemason.com. Go to their Early Years Guide for great ideas, especially great book lists and nature study.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amanda_Jo1209
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Awesome!!! Thank you so much. I will be looking through these later after they head to bed. Are these sites something that HAS to be printed? We currently do not have a printer but if the trial run goes well I will be purchasing one soon.

Quoting BramblePatch:

We started when my kids were 3 and 4. My youngest is nearly 5 now and we are using Memoria Press Jr. K.....but as a trial run, I recommend something free like 1+1=1. She has great preschool packs. Starfall.com is great for phonics. There is also a free math called MEP (google Math Enhancement Programme and look at Reception Year). You can also chech out www.simolycharlottemason.com. Go to their Early Years Guide for great ideas, especially great book lists and nature study.

DyslexiaParent
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Hi Amanda,  I'm kind of surprised nobody has responded here yet!   I don't get on very often, but saw you had no replies and thought I'd respond.

First of all, WELCOME to homeschooling! 

As far as starting with your little ones, I wouldn't worry much at all about any kind of formal curriculum to begin with.  Taking them to the Library and having them pick out any books they are interested in is a good start.  Then sit and read with them.. Cuddle up and enjoy!  Working with concept picture books for letters and numbers is a great place to start.  You can play phonics games by practicing saying the sounds (not names) of letters when you see them (this helps build early reading skills), and working on counting things, adding, etc. is a great start for math.  Early writing requires graphomotor skills so coloring, maze puzzles, drawing, etc. are good ways to build early eye-hand coordination in preparation for writing.    Other than early skills, I don't know that I'd do much of anything formal with them as far as curriculum goes.

On the question of deciding if homeschooling is RIGHT for you.. Having a look into what homeschooling is like from the inside might help you make the decision.   Although you don't sound at all 'afraid' of homeschooling, you might find the info in this book helpful.. http://www.amazon.com/Overcome-Homeschooling-Insider-Information-ebook/dp/B00BFO5DRU/ - You can use the Amazon "Look Inside" feature to see if you think the book will be of any help to you.  You don't have to own a Kindle to read it (I don't).. They have Free Reading apps for just about any device or PC these days. 

Hope that little bit of info helps at least a little bit! :-D

Momrex
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

For preschool I let my boys set the pace as to not have them decide they hated learning. We did a LOT of coloring pages, there are a bunch free all over the Internet. However, I did not start any real curriculum until last year when Dillon turned 7. While he still struggles with reading, in only 6 months he has blown through first grade math and has a strong grasp of most first grade science concepts. 

As for where to start, print out, book mark, etc. all material you want to use at least the night before. Review the guidelines for your state on home school and compulsory attendance laws. Doing so early means you have everything already set up when the time comes that you are at compulsory attendance age. Review the guildelines for your state and what they require in education. This aided me in having an idea where to start. Then yes on Monday set up a time and place and just jump in! Home schoolers do not need a time or place for school. I've done lessons outside, inside, during the day and at night, while at the store, and at friends' houses. 

BTW good for you starting now! I was so glad I had those preschool years to get us into the flow of things. Just remember younger kids cannot sit for as long as older kids. I know this from mistakes I made early on! Just listen to your instincts and your kids, they'll soon have you well trained in the ins and outs of home schooling them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)