Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

using a co-op

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 178 Total Views

I am thinking of homeschooling, but I'm not sure that I have the neccessary tools to do so.  Does anyone have experience using outside sources to come in and teach certain subjects?  How do I go about finding these types of resources?

Thanks!

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

We have a homeschool group that has a FB page and they run a co-op. Several parents join in to teach different classes. They have everything from biology and theater to cooking and writing. There is a small fee for each class for materials.

Sarahsmommy1008
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

A good place to start looking for support groups is HSLDA for your state.  You can also check fb and yahoo groups.

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Most co-ops are simply other parents pitching in to teach subjects. If you are looking to outsource to a professional, you would need to look into either dual enrollment at a private or public school (many states do not allow dual enrollment for homeschoolers in public schools though) or a private tutor.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM

When I pulled DD in the middle of her freshman year, I knew I could finish out Biology with her, but Chemistry this year was going to be a problem. Thankfully, there are several homeschool families at our church that I was able to tap for resources. I joined a local co-op that is also used by a woman who used to teach high school science. When she left work to hs her own kids, she set up a lab in her basement and teaches Biology and Chemistry to hs students.

She does the class two ways: We attend a class outside the weekly co-op meeting where she does the labs, teaches the material, and assigns a week's worth of homework. Tests are also taken at home, proctored by the parent. She also does a lab *at* the co-op meeting, but it's not as in-depth.

I admit, I was extremely fortunate to have found these people. It was a trail followed by asking questions and more questions of the people around me. Don't be afraid to be a bit of a pest. If you're new to homeschooling, I've found that experienced hs'ers are extremely generous with information and support.

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

It all depends on your area.  We have different kinds of co-op.  One is run with parent teachers and the other has homeschoolers that hold degrees in their field.  I suggest you look on facebook and yahoo groups to find what is in your area.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)