Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IN NEED OF HEL[P

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 198 Total Views

HI MY NAME IS JENNIFER I HOME SCHOOL MY 16 YR OLD AND IAM LOOKING FOR A BUDDY FOR HIM 2 STUDY WITH AND DO SOME HOMEWORK WITH OR JUST HANG OUT . I ALSO NEED SOME HELP GETING HIM INVOLED IN HOMESCHOOLING I JUST TOOK HIM OUT IN NOV OF 2012 AND IAM HAVING TROUBLE GETTING HIM 2 STUDY THANKS FOR ANY SUPORT

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Whatever interests he has in life, let him follow them.

Get a copy of the Teenage Liberation Handbook. http://www.amazon.com/The-Teenage-Liberation-Handbook-Education/dp/0962959170 Both of you should read it. It will help you both think outside the box.

Also consider deschooling:

http://sandradodd.com/deschooling

When you are both ready, decide what your mutual goals for the future of your student are, high school degree, GED, college and so on.

Pick out curriculum (if any)  WITH your teen. I do not recommend buying a full curriculum the first year. It tends to lead to frustration and a waste of money.

Be flexible, expect change.

Locate local groups and resources.

Don't forget to make it fun, relax now and then, just enjoy each other.

Be sure to keep your student in touch with any friends they really want to spend time with and which you do not feel are a really bad influence.

And finally, relax, relax, relax. The very best thing you can do is de-school. Let your students find what their are passions and pursue them.

I have one that has won a four year academic scholarship and one that has won a renewable athletic scholarship. That's only my student athlete's first college visit and offer. There are more offers to come.

Stressing over making your child learn or doing what the public or private schools are doing or doing enough won't help you or them. I wish someone had told me that when I began and that I could have wrapped my head around it and believed it.

Love them. Like them. Trust them. Support their dreams even when you don't like or understand what they are. This is the best gift you can give anyone. It's also a gift that will allow them to do things that will impress you over the years.

DyslexiaParent
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Have you searched online for homeschooling groups or activities in your local area?  It's impossible to make recommendations given we don't know where you're located, and it can make a huge difference if you're located near a large city or not.     If you want to email me privately about your circumstances, I may be of some help.  I specialize in special education advocacy, meeting special education learning needs, removed our guys from public school and have homeschooled for a decade now.  Homeschooling was the BEST decision we have ever made!!  Given your guy is just now homeschooling.. He probably is either burnt out on traditional education, needs to be taught using a more dynamic learning environment, or has some foundational learning needs that need to be met.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)