Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He didn't make it in college after unschooling for 12 years! UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • 51 Replies
  • 3892 Total Views

Oh no... I just talk to a women who use to do unschooling with her children (3) and stopped once her oldest started college and couldn't keep up. She said that he was use to going at his own pace and when it was time to move on, he wasn't ready in college. 

So this lady stopped unschool her other 2 and used curriculum's because of this. 

I didn't know how to argue for unschooling. My worries came true. Now what? 

Update: I got to talking to this mother for about 3 hours over lunch. She did everything right. So . it wasn't this mothers fault. She said the child told her that they went to fast. He was use to staying on a chapter and pondering over it for weeks ,and the college went a different chapter every day. She said he just couldn't keep up. Now that's what I was afraid of. Now what.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM
3 moms liked this

College is not for everyone. Maybe it just wasn't for him or maybe he needed a different kind of college. That this happened with one child you've heard about doesn't mean that unschooling won't work for someone who wants to go to college.

LongBeachLiz
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this
How many people come from public school and succeed in college. University isn't for everyone and that's OK. Who is to say that if she used a strict curriculum that he would have succeeded in college or even succeeded in k-12 homeschooling.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MyVavies
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

But he wanted to go to college.. was so looking forward to it.  His mother told me.

BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM
4 moms liked this
That is why unschooling, or even relaxed schooling, is not for us. I worry too much about long term effects. In the present it was seems like such a great concept but the reality is too unknown for me.
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM
That is why unschooling, or even relaxed schooling, is not for us. I worry too much about long term effects. In the present it was seems like such a great concept but the reality is too unknown for me.
debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I think even with unschooling there should be some kind of deadline for work you want turned in.  They have to be responsible.  But I know so little about unschooling that I could be wrong.

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM
11 moms liked this

I have a good friend who unschooled her kids. Her DD1 has transitioned to college just fine. DD2 has done a few college classes but right now she is choosing to run the family farm (at 19 yrs old). Her youngest is just 12 and mom has not changed a thing.

Unschooling does not necessarily mean just let your kids do whatever they want. You talk to them about college in the future and how to prepare for it. With my friends girls that meant starting to take classes at the local junior college when they were 16. They started by taking just one class, to learn both the subject (Algebra, Chemistry, etc.) as well as learn about being in a class setting, having set assignments and taking tests.

If you are unschooling and you and your child know that college is the goal then you tell your child, at least a few years before college, what kind of things they will need to do to prepare. Maybe you and your child together will need to figure out how college will be different from unschooling and what things need to be learned and practiced before college. It could be a community college course, or an on-line course, or having mom give assignments and deadlines, or maybe a combination. It may include how to get help if you are struggling. What to do if you are bored because the class moves too slow and all the other students are asking stupid questions.

You can unschool in a way that helps your child successfully transition into college, but you shouldn't just let them figure out on their own, or toss them right from completely unstructured homeschooling into college, sink or swim. 

birthymom4
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting debramommyof4:

I think even with unschooling there should be some kind of deadline for work you want turned in.  They have to be responsible.  But I know so little about unschooling that I could be wrong.

There is no work to be turned in when unschooling. Kids who are unschooled are given no "homework".

Anyway, I know MANY people who couldn't keep up with college. I wouldn't say it's because of unschooling.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I agree.  I think you have to be self motivated.  My 7 year old would be an awesome unschooler. I just cant do that.  I have to know what is going on and what she is learning and make sure she compares to others at least in the grade she is suppose to be in.  She has so far been able to stay ahead even when I am teaching her at grade level.

Quoting birthymom4:

Quoting debramommyof4:

There is no work to be turned in when unschooling. Kids who are unschooled are given no "homework".

Anyway, I know MANY people who couldn't keep up with college. I wouldn't say it's because of unschooling.

lenaymar
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM
There are online colleges that goes as the student goes. Maybe she could try it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)