Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Redoing my Curriculum - Update in Green

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:52 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 615 Total Views

I've got three kids, one year old and twin four year olds. What I'm looking for is any tips, tricks and any help I can get. I'm hoping to start teaching them this coming week. Currently I've got a few books from Schoolzone, Christmas presents, and access to a printer. As for finances we really don't have anything to budget towards homeschooling. Hubby is currently out of work but could be going to work part time within the next week.

If you need anymore information, feel free to ask.

Update: I've put together the very basics of a curriculum. Though I've just got inspiration to take it in a different direction. What I think I'll do is mini-unit studies on each letter of the alaphabet. By that I mean each two weeks will be one letter. I.E. Week 1 is Capital A, Week 2 is Lowercase A, etc. I'm thinking for the first day I'll do Africa and have different things on it, including the biblical story of Dreamer Joseph. What I need help with right now is coming up with other biblical places and/or people to co-inside with the letter.  I'll be sure to post on my blog, Tangled Thomas, about what I have so far for the letters.

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Starfall free online is good and they have great worksheets.  We also use education.com which is free also. Use beans for counting and a calendar to go over the weather. Cullens abcs has lots of free curriculum stuff too.  Your one year old just get coloring sheets and some small quite toys that they can pull out.  For the four year olds going over weather and the calendar and alphabet and reading is not bad, but really they can learn that from singing songs and playing. 

Are you trying to get them ready for kindergarten?  Are you going to continue to homeschool them?  or just trying it out?  Depending on the answer as to what will work best. 

My preschoolers 2 4 year olds and a 2.5 year old are working at different levels.  One 4 year old is learning to read, the other one is learning his alphabet, my 2 year old is mostly just playing around she "does" worksheets (meaning she scribbles on them). 

We all 6 do circle time which includes the Pledge, Calendar and Weather.  The older 2 who are 6 and 7 get out math and work till I get to them.  I get the younger kids set with thier math worksheets and then go work with the older two for a min.  Once they know what they are doing I go back and help the younger ones.  We read stories and play on the computer and they have lots of fun but at this age the 3 younger kids decide how much they want to do in a day.  Sometimes I need 15 worksheets in a week, sometimes 2.  I just print out what I want to work on and then if we get to it we get to it.  I do not stress preschool at all.  It is mostly about games and fun.  Plus they only watch educational tv. I bet my kids could tell you more about wild life than most, they love animal documentaries, just dont try to get them to watch a math or history one they run away quick.

BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1+1=1 has great preschool packs
Starfall is awesome for phonics
MEP is a free math program. You would want Reception Year. Google Math Enhancement Programme
ABCya.com has fun, educational games
Handwritingworksheets.com is a free printupung worksheet generator
SimplyCharlotteMason.com has reas-aloud book lists and nature study ideas in their free Early Years Guide.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
twinstartermom
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM

This is just to a trail run. If it goes well, I'll most likely continue.

collinsmommy0
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Www.letteroftheweek.com has some good ideas - it has a free curriculum

cerainwondrland
by Testing the waters on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I just started with my 2 yr old and got a bunch of supplies and art projects at the dollar store =)
maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Growing Readers

Are you Growing a Reader? Homeschooling your early reader? No need to buy an expensive curriculum to get your child of to a great start at reading. Here are a collection of links on teaching your child to read and write for free:

Sight Words or Phonics? How about a balanced approach?

Some background on using a balanced literacy approach to teaching your child to read.

Early Alphabet Learning and the Name Game
How to begin teaching the alphabet and other early literacy skills to your preschooler or Kindergartner.

Kindergarten Sight Words and Early Reading Skills
What you need to know to get started teaching your Kindergartner to read including a look at some of the Common Core Standards for Kindergarten reading.

Kindergarten Sight Word Sentences
After you know about teaching sight words to your Kindergartner you are ready to move on to sentences.

Kindergarten Sight Words Reading Books
Once you start introducing your child to the sight words he is ready for his first emergent-reader book.
twinstartermom
by Welcome Squad on May. 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Just updated.

Mindy8
by Welcome Squad on May. 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Sounds fun!!  Preschool is my favorite - everything is new and so exciting to children.  I love your plan!

twinstartermom
by Welcome Squad on May. 29, 2013 at 2:26 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)