Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would be the best?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 311 Total Views

I have a very hands on learning experience child with Adhd. I want a curriculum that has all of the stuff that I need to do with her laid out ex-sonlight. She wants a curriculum where she can put stuff together and tear stuff apart and play to learn with. I have found mathtacular dvd's and thinking of ordering that since she learns best also by watching documentaries. I also think that if we keep doing a math class with worksheets to make sure that she is grasping what she is learning from the dvd's will be helpful also. What curriculum have you used besides Konos that is hands-on learning that would be the best for an adhd child? Thank you

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
No_Difference
by Nikki on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Math U See uses blocks for manipulatives so you can build the problem and see it. It also comes with a DVD that can either you can watch yourself and teach from or you both can watch together and then use the teacher's manual to help reinforce what the video went over. There's a workbook with a ton of worksheets per lesson if you want to use them all...you don't have to... (We on average so far have done 2 worksheets for the lesson, then 1 review worksheet) an then theres a test book too.
My kids don't have ADHD tho, so I'm not entirely sure if it's helpful or not.

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM
What grade what age?

Quoting double2trouble:

I have a very hands on learning experience child with Adhd. I want a curriculum that has all of the stuff that I need to do with her laid out ex-sonlight. She wants a curriculum where she can put stuff together and tear stuff apart and play to learn with. I have found mathtacular dvd's and thinking of ordering that since she learns best also by watching documentaries. I also think that if we keep doing a math class with worksheets to make sure that she is grasping what she is learning from the dvd's will be helpful also. What curriculum have you used besides Konos that is hands-on learning that would be the best for an adhd child? Thank you

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:30 AM
I second Math U See..can't praise it enough!
Aminahkhan136
by Testing the waters on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I am going to start home schooling, God willling.  My children I'd say have ADD, actually I think the majority of ppl have it.  But my son is weak in Math, so I feel this may be what I am looking for in regards to math cirriculum. Would you mind posting the site where I can find out more about this product, Thanks

No_Difference
by Nikki on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Quoting Aminahkhan136:

I am going to start home schooling, God willling.  My children I'd say have ADD, actually I think the majority of ppl have it.  But my son is weak in Math, so I feel this may be what I am looking for in regards to math cirriculum. Would you mind posting the site where I can find out more about this product, Thanks

http://www.mathusee.com/

For reviews on it:
http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=158
This one has reviews from other parent's instead of just one source
http://cathyduffyreviews.com/math/math-u-see.htm
From Cathy Duffy:
Learning Styles: best for Wiggly Willy and Sociable Sue
Suitable for:
one-on-one or group, plus some independent work
Need for parent/teacher instruction:
moderate to high
Prep time needed:
minimal to moderate (more up front to learn basic techniques)
Need for Teacher's Manual:
essential
Religious perspective:
Christian
With the Religious perspective, I haven't seen any religious influence in the program if you're worried about that...
http://thehomeschoolmagazine.com/Homeschool_Reviews/1610.php

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
double2trouble
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I have a 7 yr old in the first grade. I am ordering the Mathtacular dvd's for sure and I just do not know what else. She does dreambox right now and if it is a good day she likes it but if her days are off she hates it. Thank you all for your advice

NoShame116
by Testing the waters on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM
We are going to use MFW. It has a lot of hands on and my ADHD kids are looking forward to it.
DyslexiaParent
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM

We used a lot of History Channel DVDs, computer-based learning programs for learning to read, Plato Science programs (we got through the Homeschool Buyers Co-op), Science experiments, Rosetta Stone foreign language, etc.  For my son with ADHD, he much preferred the audio-visual means of learning and asked to do his work via computer programs when he was in the fifth or sixth grade.  It wasn't my top choice, but it worked well for him and that was what mattered!  Unfortunately, I don't know of a ready-made curriculum laid out like Sonlight for this purpose.

double2trouble
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:47 AM

I know sonlight does not have it for adhd. I just like that their lesson plans had the schedule of daily work for the parents. I do not have a homeschool coop in my area so that is out for us. I know the visual-audio is best for her too and trying to find something that is all along that is hard but I think I am gonna get the drive thru history dvd's and the science I think I have stuff for that now and the math I am ordering the mathtacular dvd's when I get up later today. I might look into MFW for science and maybe a couple of other things she likes the phonic workbooks thru horizon so gonna keep going with them. Thank you guys so much for the advice and please keep it coming.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)