Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

seeking advise-starting homeschool

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 281 Total Views

Hello My name is Aminah, I have two children.  My son is nine and my daughter is five.  I am seeking opinions on cirriculum any and all you ladies have tried.  I know this shouldn't be such a hard dicision I never really questioned the cirriculum my son's schools have taught.  But now since I feel so responsible for his educaiton(which I am happy about) I feel very overwhelmed.  Please help me jump of the diving board ladies.

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Hello Aminah,  My name is Brenda and I have been home educating for 20 yrs so far.  All but our youngest has now graduated from homeschool and most are married with kids of their own (most of whom are being educated at home also).  I do not know if you want a "religious" curriculum or not but that is what I have used for the most part.  I started with all ABeka and have tried many through the years but always liked it best.  I also use many, many real books in our school.  I very highly recommend several books to new home educators. They are "The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook" by the Moores,  "A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning" by Karen Andreola,  "Educating the Whole Hearted Child" by: Clay and Sally Clarkson and "The Well Trained Mind" by: Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise.  "The Well Trained Mind is a pretty rigorous study and we are more relaxed but I got many great ideas and incorporated much of it into my school.  You can get most of these books used off Amazon.  :-)

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Precious333
by Helping Hands on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM
These are great book references!!!

My kids are still young. 6,4,2 and we are doinf classical conversations, story of the world, eclectic reader, and singapore math along wit a few other communitu classes. So far it works for our famlly :)

Quoting bren_darlene:

Hello Aminah,  My name is Brenda and I have been home educating for 20 yrs so far.  All but our youngest has now graduated from homeschool and most are married with kids of their own (most of whom are being educated at home also).  I do not know if you want a "religious" curriculum or not but that is what I have used for the most part.  I started with all ABeka and have tried many through the years but always liked it best.  I also use many, many real books in our school.  I very highly recommend several books to new home educators. They are "The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook" by the Moores,  "A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning" by Karen Andreola,  "Educating the Whole Hearted Child" by: Clay and Sally Clarkson and "The Well Trained Mind" by: Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise.  "The Well Trained Mind is a pretty rigorous study and we are more relaxed but I got many great ideas and incorporated much of it into my school.  You can get most of these books used off Amazon.  :-)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aminahkhan136
by Testing the waters on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Thank you ladiessimple smile.  I am def interested in religious studies, but I do not want all the cirriculum bible based.  Does anyone have any advice about Oak meadows?  I really like their site. Is that the classic method?? I seems like it is. What about time4learning.com?  My sons old school recently converted into one of those tech schools (all classes on computerized) but we had to move so he wasn't able to go there. Thank you so much for the book titles, I'll def be purchusing a few of those.  God bless

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Well you have came to the right place for advice. Making the decision to homeschool is a big one.  At this point her education can be very inexpensive and some times free, which is great. First find out what your state laws are. I would log on to Starfall.com. That is a wonderful resource and its free.  There are plenty of websites where you can download free print outs for most subjects. Also try Walmart and pick up some activity books, or go to your local book store (or Barnes and Noble) and they always have hands on activity sets for kids of all ages.  Good Luck. 

Jody59
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

It can be overwhelming, but remember, you are not stuck, you can change curriculum. Many people pick and choose from different cuuriculum. We used Robinson, and Saxon math. 

jody    Check Out The Writing Course 

gardensparrow
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Hi there~

Just caught this post and wanted to say congrats on starting homeschooling! But, I know it's a bit overwhelming to figure out the best fit for your son as far as curriculum goes. So, I just wanted to hop on here and make a couple of suggestions. First of all, there's a great book called The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling by Debra Bell that has a lot of great tips on starting homeschooling and finding the right materials. I think you should be able to find it online or maybe even at the library. Also, since it seems like you might be interested in some material from a religious perspective, I've come across an article series while working at Focus on the Family that has info on choosing homeschooling curriculum and a break down of the different ones available. So, just FYI if you ever want to check it out. Well, my prayers will be with you as you figure all this out! Keep us posted. :)

momamanda
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I know it's not a popular choice among some homeschoolers but I am enrolling my children in Connections Academy next year. Since it will be my first experience with homeschool I feel I need the guidance and having someone to be accountable to so I know I won't fail my kids, this is my opinion for me. After a year maybe I will feel ready to do it on my own but right now I am comfortable with this program. In case you don't know, It is a free online public school. They give you everything, even a computer in some states. I live in GA and they don't do computers here. It's fine though because we own 5 computers so there will be plenty for them. There is also K12, I looked into that as well but I think Connections is a better fit for our family.  I wish you luck in making your decision! I am excited about the idea and scared all at the same time. My children are 9, 6, and 5

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)