Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying to figure out where to start.....

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 172 Total Views

I have 3 children that I will be home schooling next school year and I have no clue where to start. I am trying to find a cirriculum and supplies. My children's grades will be 6, 7 and 9 for the 2013-2014 school year.

I have decided to home school because my 15 year old will be starting 9th grade next year. He has Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD, and behavior problems (according to his IEP). High school will be a huge culture shock for him and as it is I have to get him from school at least once a week because he's had a "break down". Next year will be a lot worse.

I figured since I am home schooling Christian, I might as well home school his little sisters as well. Now, I just have to figure out a cirriculum and supplies for each grade.

I have looked online for teacher's supplies and every site I've found only offers supplies up to grade 6. I will need higher grades suppies as well. The libraries in my area doesn't offer any kind of books or workbooks that I can teach out of.

Can anyone please offer suggestions?

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Here are my best tips on getting started.

1. Look up your state laws. Make sure you are in compliance. I like this site rather than HSLDA

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Legalities.htm

2. Decide what your mutual goals for the future of your student are, high school degree, GED, college and so on.

3. Find out your teen's best learning styles. I'd use POC4U to aide this.

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

4. Research ways to do an education along with your teen. I recommend The Teenage Liberation Handbook.

5. Pick out curriculum (if any)  WITH your teen. I do not recommend buying a full curriculum the first year. It tends to lead to frustration and a waste of money.

6. Be flexible, expect change.

7. Locate local groups and resources.

8. Don't forget to make it fun, relax now and then, just enjoy each other.

9. Be sure to keep your student in touch with any friends they really want to spend time with and which you do not feel are a really bad influence.

And finally, relax, relax, relax. The very best thing you can do is de-school. Let your students find what their are passions and pursue them.

I have one that has won a four year academic scholarship and one that has won a renewable athletic scholarship. That's only my student athlete's first college visit and offer. There are more offers to come.

Stressing over making your child learn or doing what the public or private schools are doing or doing enough won't help you or them. I wish someone had told me that when I began and that I could have wrapped my head around it and believed it.

Love them. Like them. Trust them. Support their dreams even when you don't like or understand what they are. This is the best gift you can give anyone. It's also a gift that will allow them to do things that will impress you over the years.

BD

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Have you thought about combining them into a Core study (History,LA,Science,Bible) and then their individual level Math?  To do something like that you could check out Sonlight Curriculum.  I woud also look into Math U See.  They have placement tests on their website.  It maybe easier to combine them for the first year to get the hang of it.  Sonlight also has a choosing forum where you can get TONS of help and advice. They also have advisors on the website during the day to help you for free!

I would say you have time to look through Homeschooling curriculum so take your time and see what you think would work best for your kiddos!  SL works for us even though we are secular homeschoolers.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)