Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying to figure out where to start.....

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 266 Total Views

I have 3 children that I will be home schooling next school year and I have no clue where to start. I am trying to find a cirriculum and supplies. My children's grades will be 6, 7 and 9 for the 2013-2014 school year.

I have decided to home school because my 15 year old will be starting 9th grade next year. He has Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD, and behavior problems (according to his IEP). High school will be a huge culture shock for him and as it is I have to get him from school at least once a week because he's had a "break down". Next year will be a lot worse.

I figured since I am home schooling Christian, I might as well home school his little sisters as well. Now, I just have to figure out a cirriculum and supplies for each grade.

I have looked online for teacher's supplies and every site I've found only offers supplies up to grade 6. I will need higher grades suppies as well. The libraries in my area doesn't offer any kind of books or workbooks that I can teach out of.

Can anyone please offer suggestions?

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DyslexiaParent
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Sent you a private message.. I likewise pulled my children out of public school due to learning issues.  It was the BEST DECISION we have ever made!!  It will help if you let us know the functional level of your high schooler.. Does he read and perform at grade level, or does he need additional work on the core academic skills (reading, writing, math)?

WinterRosesmom
by Testing the waters on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM
I also homeschool and love it we do k-12 program
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WinterRosesmom
by Testing the waters on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I also homeschool and love it we do k-12 program
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cdbergeron
by Testing the waters on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Christian is reading at a lower grade level than he's currently in, however according to his IEP all of his tests are oral. Also, when he needs to write, his para writes all of his work for him. He tells her what his answers are and she writes it, even on reports. He reads slowly but does understand the story, however because of the slow speed he reads at, they have him in a lower reading level.

He's been in occupational therapy since he was 5, and even though he can write he doesn't have very good handwriting, but he can type well. I've told them that if they would allow him to work on a computer, he would be able to do alot of the work himself.

He is also slightly behind on his math. Christian can do the work required, but he is slower than the other kids. He also becomes overwhelmed when working on his school work and has to be given one thing at a time to concentrate on.

He had to do a report in RELA on comapring 2 stories. He became overwhelmed in class and they called me to pick him up. Once I got him home, I sat down with him and we worked on it together. I helped him talk out what he wanted to say, but made him write it on his own and he finished it from start (reading the stories) to finish (writing his final draft) and everything inbetween within three hours (this is a project his class took a week to complete). When he received his grade for the report he received 100%. His teachers were suprised he was able to make such a good grade and were shocked when I told them he did it all on his own.

Momrex
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Check Amazon.com and barnesandnobles.com. Use the keyword phrases high school subject. Hope that helps!

happycells
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I'm too new to suggest, but I want to congratulate you on doing this.  Why not take him out now.  Our son has separation anxiety and we knew Middle school was going to be too much for him.  We just took him out Feb 14 (5th grade) on the spot during a heated discussion and I'm so glad I didn't wait til the end of the year as planned.  He has asthma too and hasn't used his rescue inhaler once since he has been home ;) Also getting allergy shots, so no more stress for him and I wish I would have done it sooner, than to see him puke in the driveway on the way to school and feel horrible now I did that.  Love the options of homeschooling.  We are looking into Calvert.  I have heard Abeka is great too.  You have plenty of time and will find many ideas.  I suggest YouTube vids for your child's challenges and I'm sure you will see how other mom's make home a happy place to learn.  Their are co-ops for trading books etc I'm sure in your area and yahoo groups that are local.  I'm not sure what State you live in, but first make sure you file all the paperwork and requirements so they don't start marking your child truant, like they did mine.  This is going to be such a fun journey for you and your children, and a lot less stressful environment for your son.  I have liked the websites MathUsee, Singapore Math and I think the other is Fred. I have looked at so many, I don't remember the other ones! It will be trial and error since you have different grade levels, but the challenge will be so worth it.  There is also Charter schools and the teacher comes to your home and they provide all the curriculum and give you a spending budget each year.  It is considered a public school in your home, so anyone can come to your home during school hours, which we didn't like and files a PSA instead.  Feel free to email me or message me.  I'm here for you.  Christie from Sacto, CA

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN