Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

REAL Science Odyssey or Elemental Science

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 760 Total Views

I'm planning for curriculum next year for my K and 2nd grader. RSO and Elemental Science both look fun, engaged, with lots of fun hands-on activities the kids will love. Does anyone like one over the other? Thanks!

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifesadream83
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I cannot speak for elemental science although I have to say after looking it up I wish I had known about it before!  RSO is okay my dd loves it.  I think that I would probably like the other though.  

blessedhappymom
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM
We use elemental science and really like it. The mom who created this program developed it when she was looking for a science program for her homeschooled child.

The teachers guide is very easy to follow and it is broken down into a 2 or 5 day week. It's Kaye's out so you know what supplies an handouts you will need. She even includes books to go along with the topic. The activities are very hands on and my boys love it. Also, the topics are organized very well. I would highly recommend it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RockEducation
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I agree with blessedhappymom. ES is all laid out for you, the price for the Teacher's guide and Student book is very reasonable, and having a choice of a 2 or 5 day schedule is helpful.

Annastacialynn
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:11 AM
can someone post a link to the elementary science curriculum? I googled it, but I want to make sure I'm seeing the right thing. :-)
CJsMommy040506
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM

http://elementalscience.com/ I'm thinking of using the classic series.

CJsMommy040506
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Thanks for your input ladies. I've looked at the samples for both and ES has quite a few pages when downloading the sample. So far I think it looks awesome. I want history and science to be fun for them. It is also cheap and looks so user friendly by being laid out of what to do each lesson. I love that there are reading books already listed since I want to get those from the library.

shoeshoegirl12
by Welcome Squad on May. 17, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Elemental science looks like what I used in PS. I HATED PS curriculum's.. they were so boring and just facts that were trying to be made fun ,and they weren't fun!

Can someone post the Real Science Odyssey website for that curriculum.. I want to know if I am seeing the right thing too. Is it like the Real Science for kids, Pre-Level Science I and Focus on Science curriculum's?Because I think these three are the same thing ,but just a newer version of each other! If Odyssey IS just another one of those 3, IDK if I would like it if it keeps changing it's name all the time. Doesn't sound stable to me! Thanks....

shoeshoegirl12
by Welcome Squad on May. 17, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I think I found R.E.A.L Science Odyssey , and it's not what I was talking about. The three that were the same but a newer version are something different, I think. 

When I looked at meet the authors on the R.E.A.L Science odyssey, they had history books made by them too. Sounds like they can't stay forced on just one subject. I would like to have a company make something they are good at and leave the other subjects for the ones with those talents. Oh well.. Guess I will stick with Focus On Science Curriculum for now.

celticdragon77
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Pandia Press is the company behind REAL Science Odyssey. They have a page on their website that lets you meet the authors. There was a different author for each curriculum. 

http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=30 

Quoting shoeshoegirl12:

I think I found R.E.A.L Science Odyssey , and it's not what I was talking about. The three that were the same but a newer version are something different, I think. 

When I looked at meet the authors on the R.E.A.L Science odyssey, they had history books made by them too. Sounds like they can't stay forced on just one subject. I would like to have a company make something they are good at and leave the other subjects for the ones with those talents. Oh well.. Guess I will stick with Focus On Science Curriculum for now.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson   This mama is the group owner of Education Station and Montessori, has three kids 17, 10.5, 9 yrs old, works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

celticdragon77
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I bought the Science Odyssey for next year. The public school didn't do Science with my kids. So we are starting at ground zero despite going into the 4th grade. We chose the life science. It is geared towards 1-4grades. It seemed too easy when I first was looking at it, but I did the first lesson with the kids (to get a good idea of how well it will work for them). I really liked it - as did they.

There was one page of reading - just enough to get the main concept and vocab across to the kids. There are recommended books to read and two "labs". I liked that the books were living books to support the lesson. I liked how the labs were set up. 

This how we did it...

Lesson #1

Monday - read worksheet, created a notebooking page (not in their guide - just something I wanted to do), we created vocab page in the notebook (kind of like in the style of a lapbook, but simplified). 

Tuesday - read worksheet, did lab, wrote in notebook

Wednesday - read suggested books, wrote in notebook

Thursday - read worksheet, did lab, wrote in notebook

Friday - looked up websites and did a related coloring page that I found and printed out - added it to the notebook. 

Maybe a week is a bit much for one lesson to some people, but there are I think 26 lessons. So, I think they meant for it to take a week. I wanted my kids to have time with each concept before moving on. 

Their curriculum is very well laid out. It is simple, but good. It is the perfect mix for my kids - worksheets/labs, activities that are hands on, living books, sort textbook type reading, written in a kid friendly style, vocab words highlighted in the reading, and we can add to it in any way without it feeling like too much. 

Some people have complained that it is loose leaf paper. I liked this. I bought mine used for $20 and it came put together in a binder. I LOVE this because we notebook using binders. I made copies to use for my second child and put that in a binder as well. They can add their other notebooking materials in these binders. When it is time to do a lab, they take the lab sheet out of the binder and put it on a clipboard (super handy). 

This curriculum as I mentioned is for 1-4grades. My kids are going into 4 and 5 grades. So, it's very easy for them, but is totally new concepts because of the lack of science in their public school. My kids are struggling readers too. So this curriculum was perfect! My kids love hands on lessons and reading real books. I can imagine a first and second grader using this and it being perfect for them as well. If your child has previous knowledge of this or is more advanced, this might be too easy. But you can add more depth with the reading book choices. The labs are good. They have higher levels for older kids.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson   This mama is the group owner of Education Station and Montessori, has three kids 17, 10.5, 9 yrs old, works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)