Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you do Curriculum for the subjects your not good at?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 199 Total Views

Okay.. I am taking a biology course at my local community college, and boy is it hard! It's just I didn't know the basics of that biology class before starting it, like 6th-highschool biology. I feel like I need to get a curriculum to make sure my kids ( especially my 13.5 year old) knows all these basics before going to that Jr. college class in the future. Then he wouldn't be so far behind.

However, I am barely passing that class now, so how on earth am I going to teach it to him? I am thinking about getting a curriculum for the subjects I don't know very well.. HELP! I don't want to use a Science Curriculum!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
JCB911
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Couldn't you use YOUR current bio textbook, but explain it to kids in their terms.  That way you already bought a book - and nothing helps you learn like teaching it to others.  Even if you only get through the first few chapters because you have to slow down, they'd still get something.

DyslexiaParent
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM

For my DS, with Physics and Chemistry, we paid for them to go to a class with a mom that taught the courses at home.  For Chemistry, we used different individuals for each of our boys--picking local mom/teachers who had teaching styles suitable to each of the guys.  For Physics, we used Derek Owens' online class, which worked great!  I've known moms who traded literature lessons for biology lessons (the one mom HATED dissection), and that worked really well for them.  Also, Check out KhanAcademy.org online.. They have courses there with teaching videos... Totally free and awesome content!  That way, the kids can get the "teaching" part from someone who knows the subject well.  Doing it that way helped my guys tremendously.. My oldest is in college, currently taking Physics and he says college physics is "easy" because of taking it in high school... Not many people think college physics is easy! LOL!  Hope you find a good solution that works for you!

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)