Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

History programs for middle schooler

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 900 Total Views

Any recommendations on a good, interesting history program for my 8th grader? Maybe something tht uses some textbooks and real literature. Not too much hands on projects. A few are okay, but we are not too good at programs that have hands on projects that need to be done every week. My dd starts off liking it but then I forget to get all the supplies, or don't have the money to get them, or she doesn't want to do the projects or whatnot, so something that is interesting, but doesn't reauire me to go buy a bunch of extra materials. Thanks!

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RockEducation
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You might check out Joy Hakim's History of US (there is a revised third edition 11-volume set) or The Human Odyssey (three volumes). You can buy both of these used on Amazon. I believe Human Odyssey are the books used by k12.

WantedNameTaken
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We aren't using a history textbook for DD (7th-grader) at this time.  Instead, we check out a lot of library books, watch tons of videos, and use various online resources. We're working on world history this year, so I just pick a time period, for example, Mongol Empire, Ottoman Empire, Ming Dynasty, French Revolution, and let her research her heart away as she sees fit.  She then creates a presentation or writes a research paper to tell the story.

I do like Glencoe's American Republic textbooks (DS 9th-grader is using it this year), so I'm thinkin about using that for DD.  I'm still not sure though, because the child-led approach tends to work better for her in regard to history.

Here's a bump!

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Following!

I'm looking for 8th grade US history for next year. So far, I like History of US. I'm looking for a secular based curriculum and every time I think I found something that looks good, has literature to go with it, etc. it turns out to be Christian based. I'd love a curriculum that incorporates historical fiction and/or historical literature.

Im pretty sure Netflix instant still has A History of US series which is great to watch along with other activities.

lifesadream83
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Sonlight has a great selection (eastern hemisphere, world history or American history) easy to secularize too! then there is moving beyond the page, notgrass also has a good one from what I hear...that one is Christian based....apologia has one called around the world in 180 days... This one is cool! It's made by a Christian company but it can be completely secular too. It is basically systematic outlie for research. It asks questions and the student researches the topics using literature or the Internet or the library... It's awesome, especially if you want to start teaching them about legit sources versus ones any one can edit like Wikipedia.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

K12's Human Odyssey is a GREAT secular world history textbook. You can easily supplement with real literature; have her outline from the text, dive further into certain topics with a history encyclopedia, etc.

Another option would be just that - a history encyclopedia (like Kingfisher) that she can outline from, summarize from, and then use the internet and various real books to read more on.

Memoria Press' "Famous Men" series with their student guides is fantastic as well. MP also sells Dorothy Mills' books with student guides (so far only her ancient world and greeks books have student guides; the rest are "in the works").

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

pce68
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations. I may check out the Human Odyssey since we are planning on doing k-12 next year and see how she likes that. or I might just get a history encyclopedia and have her do some research with it. Not sure yet. I can't buy any more books right now but as soon as I have the money we are going to the bookstore to check out some of these titles. There's a great homeschool bookstore about 30-45 minutes from here, that has lots of good titles.So thank again for the help!

Wantn1more
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM
What is k12? Sorry, new to this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Documentaries, Pick a time line period in history and read real books on the time period and watch the documentaries. She could write you papers about her thoughts on certain topics. 

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM

We used K12 this year through agora charter school and we were not pleased. 

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Following!

I'm looking for 8th grade US history for next year. So far, I like History of US. I'm looking for a secular based curriculum and every time I think I found something that looks good, has literature to go with it, etc. it turns out to be Christian based. I'd love a curriculum that incorporates historical fiction and/or historical literature.

Im pretty sure Netflix instant still has A History of US series which is great to watch along with other activities.

We have used All American History for DS. It does offer some book suggestions, but you can also get ideas for books to go along with it elsewhere. It IS a Christian book, BUT Christian ideas aren't really mentioned in the regular text too much,and when they are I don't think it could be considered offensive or "pushy". The places where it is a bit in depth they are actual SECTIONS on Christianity or religion and are quite easy to skip if you don't want to do that part. Can't hurt to look into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)