Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Grade Home SChool Curriculum

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:39 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 589 Total Views

We recently Just moved to Florida from Indiana.  

The School my daughter is "zoned" to go to, has some safety concerns in my opion. I did my research and its none, I went in and requested to talke with the prinpcal to see if I could ease my mind about sending her there and she was in a meeting so I left my number that was 4 business days ago.  I tried signing her up for another school, ( never heard back) Tried signing her up for Eschool and they are not open to enrollment.  There are only a couple months left, I dont want her to fall behind. She is very bright and catches on very quickly, she reads at a second grade level already. ...  I am asking to where I find the 1st grade curriculum, I really dont want to buy to much since there is only a couple months left, just need a little help, after this I may keep her home for 2nd grade or keep homeschooling her only time will tell. 

Thank you! 

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Are you looking for Christian or secular?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DangerousMommy
by Melissa on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I'd probably grab a copy of "What your first grader needs to know" and use that to finish out the year. Not much of a financial investment, and a great resource. You can find lots of free stuff for handwriting and math online. Fun4thebrain.com comes to mind for basic math operations. Head of the class (dot com) is also a free option for a more rounded curriculum.  

jellybeans5
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

You can get a workbook type of thing for that grade from Sam's Club or a parent teacher store. You can use websites and library resources. That's really all you need.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM

http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/Default.aspx

Here is another free online curriculum. 

Momrex
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I spent less than $50 on first grade material for my son. We picked up a math book, a first grade science book,  The Story of the World (get the activity book as well if you go with this book, it makes all the difference) for history, whiteboard markers, and a set of page protectors. Combo all that with a good printer ( you could even skip the math and science books), the Internet, a little time on your part, and a library card (ask if you can borrow Ebooks from home), and you will have no issue teaching your first grader. There are many great sites for print outs or you can make your own. Use the page protectors with the wipe off markers to practice writing, or so that you can use printables  or workbook pages with multiple children. Last, Barnes and Nobles has a great workbook section to browse through for ideas and you can get an educator discount as a home school parent. Hope this helps!

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Look at www.oldfasionededucation.com it's free. It links to a free grammar program if you check grammar and a great math program-CIMT MEPS math-again all free. Another free curriculum is www.allinonehomeschool.com and also look at www.amblesideonline.com for ideas for crafts and other worksheets try www.dltk-teac.com. Hope these help😀
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JocelynsMama1
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM

i couldnt find it on my county's school website but that would be the first place to look....however i was able to find the state standards simply by googling...type in Florida 1st grade math standards and you should be able to find exactly what she needs to know and go from there as to what she already has learned this year and do that for every subject :)

rsrangel
by Helping Hands on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Welcome to Florida!  We are in FL too (Southwest).  We LOVE Easy Peasy All in One Homeschool.  It's free and covers everything.  It was written by a mom as she homeschooled her children, in a way that her kids could go on themselves, see and complete their assignments.  She decided to share it with the world and it's been wonderful.  Take some time to look around the site!! 

Also, look into signing up with an umbrella school.  We use Florida Unschoolers (you don't have to "unschool") or there are many others available too.  It's free and all you have to do is turn in attendance.  You won't have to answer to the county, notify them of your intent to homeschool, do yearly testing or anything.  It's 100% legal under Florida law and your child would be considered as part of a private school.  It has taken so much stress off of me and I've been able to focus on helping my kids gain a love for learning without worrying about the extra requirements by the state. 

ABusyMomof2
by Testing the waters on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Thank you for that information on Florida I did not know that.  We are located on the Gulf side. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)