Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will I "ruin the fun" if I start the learning before my kids? UPDATE

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 674 Total Views

I am a planner. Oh boy am I. And I am going to be homeschooling my future children. I knew this for years now. However, I am also twenty-seven with no kids, or husband.... not even a boyfriend. BUT, like I said, I am a planner! I really  enjoy planning, it's fun!

Anyways, I am in college trying to get my degree in Early Childhood Education. I am still getting the basics like English, Sciences, Maths.. etc. This semester I am taking General Biology. Which I am having a hard time learning with my Learning Disability. Now a friend of mine (who knows I want to homeschool my kids) said why don't you get some children's books and curriculum's now to help me understand biology ,or whatever subject, better?! This was a good idea until I started to think, I wanted to explore those young books with my future kids.... do them together... learn together. That was part of the fun I had been planning for. 

So my question to you is, I am afraid to "ruin the fun" for myself if I get these extra help through children's books and games. Will I "ruin the fun" for myself if I look at and explore the subjects without my kids?

Thanks For everything!

UPDATE: I am needing to pass these basic classes to get my degree, and the only thing that is helping is those elementary school videos and curriculum's. The worst part is I am having sooooo much fun! Also, I am already starting to see the down play of some of me learning before my kids and how it's effecting now.

You see, there were some videos I didn't enjoy because I already knew the stuff on them. As I was watching those videos, I thought to myself, is this how it's going to be with me and my kids. My joy and excitement demolished because I already knew this stuff.

I am just hoping what you guys said will come true. That I will forget most of it and have to relearn it again. All I hope for is I don't forget the big picture of things. I need that to be able to teach them the small stuff.

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyVavies
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:20 PM

HEY!!! I AM BIOLOGY TOO!!!

Anyways, Wow.. that's a hard question. I don't know if I would want to do those things early either. You see, I dropped out of highschool and got my GED. I am somewhat happy that I didn't learn anything in school because I am learning it now with my kids, and Boy Is It FUN!!!!

But the difference between you and me is, I slowly went into it with my children's levels, inching my way up to now taking college classes. I got to do the fun, easy 'biology' (or whatever) first before I went to the college level. So, I DID get to learn along with them! 

My BAD advice to you is to do what I did. I took all my degree classes first. By the time I got done with that, my oldest was 6 and we started on those basic subjects. Since I started "really" homeschooling then, I only took one class a semester. By the time I got to the harder subjects, my boy was in the 6th grade , and I learned all the basics the fun way ..... with him. But like I said, that's BAD advice. Your academic adviser would totally disagree with me!

I hope you get someone here to help you! And good for you for wanting to plain ahead! I wish I did before I meet my Hubby. It would have been much easier!

CallList
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM

No.. that's not bad advice at all! I actually thought of that. The only thing is, what happens if I don't meet my future husband until I am in my thirties?... do I hold off my degree until then , so I can do it the way you did and I want to do? Because that sounds like the perfect way to learn! I don't know... I am so lost...

shoeshoegirl12
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM

That IS a hard question!!! 

Just think of it this way, If you do the hard stuff without your kids, you will be able to teach them more when it comes time for that subject. They could ask questions and you would have answers for them. I know... I know.. you still wont have as much fun. THIS  is why  I said this was a hard question. Something has to give.

I hope someone here will have the answer for you... WOW this was a hard question!!!!

victoriaherring
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I'm getting a degree in early childhood edu just because I want to homeschool.. I figured it would help me with my daughter, and then later on if I need it I can use it. But anyways, I don't think its ever too early to start planning.. I started planning right after the birth of my daugther. I have a whole trunk full of textbooks. There are tons of things at goodwill and thriftstores. I even have a biology book I think. I think if it will help you with your class then read over it. You'll probably have to go into teaching your kids with a little knowledge on the subject anyways, so might as well go ahead.. I mean how are you going to teach your kids something you don't know? There will probably always be something left that you can learn so just relax. If you are anything like me you will learn it now, and then years later when its time to teach the kids you will have forgotten it so it'll be brand new stuff all over again.. haha

CallList
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I thought, if you have a curriculum, doesn't it come with a teachers manual? Something to help you "bring it home" to your child? Like Examples, or questions to ask your child,... things you would see in a public school's teachers manual of the curriculum?

I thought you could have NO prier knowlege of the subject and still teach it as long as you had that teachers manual to help you?

Quoting victoriaherring:

I'm getting a degree in early childhood edu just because I want to homeschool.. I figured it would help me with my daughter, and then later on if I need it I can use it. But anyways, I don't think its ever too early to start planning.. I started planning right after the birth of my daugther. I have a whole trunk full of textbooks. There are tons of things at goodwill and thriftstores. I even have a biology book I think. I think if it will help you with your class then read over it. You'll probably have to go into teaching your kids with a little knowledge on the subject anyways, so might as well go ahead.. I mean how are you going to teach your kids something you don't know? There will probably always be something left that you can learn so just relax. If you are anything like me you will learn it now, and then years later when its time to teach the kids you will have forgotten it so it'll be brand new stuff all over again.. haha

CallList
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I sure hope your right..That this wont take away the interest in me wanting to homeschool. That the fire.. the passion of learning wont be let out of me because I will already know the stuff.  I feel like I would be just regenerating knowledge and not learning anything. And that would be boring and homeschooling would be a chore rather then something new and exciting each lesson.

I am just going to have to trust you on this one... I just wish I knew other moms agreed or had experience this before. Thanks!

Quoting victoriaherring:

wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Keep going and finish your degree. You can't put your life on hold for the children you don't even have yet. You have no idea what will happen in the future. You might start having kids next year, or it might be 10 years from now, you just don't know. For all you know, you'll meet the father of your kids at school, or working in your chosen profession.

I don't think learning anything ahead of children really ruins anything. I don't mind learning alon with my kids, but I admit, when they throw something at me that I don't know, we come to a total standstill as I find the answer - which tends to ruin our momentum, and I hate that.

Plus, you have to remember that things change. The books you read today might not be the newest, freshest books by the time you have kids to look at them with you. So you may still very well have the chance to read books that are new to you with them.

Wendy Miller
Single mom of 2 boys
Author of Tangled Deceit (July 2012),  The Secrets He Kept (December 2012), and Ripped Away, coming April 2013!
Learn more about her on GoodReads

shoeshoegirl12
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM

One thing you can do is not look at the children stuff for those subjects.... Like in biology, for cells, Just look at the adults stuff. Because the make EVERTHING for kids now a days: movies, shows, books, etc.To avoid missing out on all the fun when  you have children, do that. This will allow you to do the child like stuff later and still get a new prospective on things in the future!

Uniquecoolio
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM

believe me, there's enough learning to go around! I have to do each Algebra chapter before the kids. This time around...I'm enjoying the challenge! No, you won't wreck your fun.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I have not finished my degree.  I had kids early and have not had the chance to go back. I worry my 7 year old is going to out pace me. I wish I had got my degree first.  But I am finding even at 7 she is learning things I didnt know just because she asks questions I never thought to ask.  It will be that way with your future children I am sure.

Quoting CallList:

I sure hope your right..That this wont take away the interest in me wanting to homeschool. That the fire.. the passion of learning wont be let out of me because I will already know the stuff.  I feel like I would be just regenerating knowledge and not learning anything. And that would be boring and homeschooling would be a chore rather then something new and exciting each lesson.

I am just going to have to trust you on this one... I just wish I knew other moms agreed or had experience this before. Thanks!

Quoting victoriaherring:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN