Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will I "ruin the fun" if I start the learning before my kids? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

I am a planner. Oh boy am I. And I am going to be homeschooling my future children. I knew this for years now. However, I am also twenty-seven with no kids, or husband.... not even a boyfriend. BUT, like I said, I am a planner! I really  enjoy planning, it's fun!

Anyways, I am in college trying to get my degree in Early Childhood Education. I am still getting the basics like English, Sciences, Maths.. etc. This semester I am taking General Biology. Which I am having a hard time learning with my Learning Disability. Now a friend of mine (who knows I want to homeschool my kids) said why don't you get some children's books and curriculum's now to help me understand biology ,or whatever subject, better?! This was a good idea until I started to think, I wanted to explore those young books with my future kids.... do them together... learn together. That was part of the fun I had been planning for. 

So my question to you is, I am afraid to "ruin the fun" for myself if I get these extra help through children's books and games. Will I "ruin the fun" for myself if I look at and explore the subjects without my kids?

Thanks For everything!

UPDATE: I am needing to pass these basic classes to get my degree, and the only thing that is helping is those elementary school videos and curriculum's. The worst part is I am having sooooo much fun! Also, I am already starting to see the down play of some of me learning before my kids and how it's effecting now.

You see, there were some videos I didn't enjoy because I already knew the stuff on them. As I was watching those videos, I thought to myself, is this how it's going to be with me and my kids. My joy and excitement demolished because I already knew this stuff.

I am just hoping what you guys said will come true. That I will forget most of it and have to relearn it again. All I hope for is I don't forget the big picture of things. I need that to be able to teach them the small stuff.

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Replies (11-15):
MyVavies
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Quoting CallList:

I am a planner. Oh boy am I. And I am going to be homeschooling my future children. I knew this for years now. However, I am also twenty-seven with no kids, or husband.... not even a boyfriend. BUT, like I said, I am a planner! I really  enjoy planning, it's fun!

Anyways, I am in college trying to get my degree in Early Childhood Education. I am still getting the basics like English, Sciences, Maths.. etc. This semester I am taking General Biology. Which I am having a hard time learning with my Learning Disability. Now a friend of mine (who knows I want to homeschool my kids) said why don't you get some children's books and curriculum's now to help me understand biology ,or whatever subject, better?! This was a good idea until I started to think, I wanted to explore those young books with my future kids.... do them together... learn together. That was part of the fun I had been planning for. 

So my question to you is, I am afraid to "ruin the fun" for myself if I get these extra help through children's books and games. Will I "ruin the fun" for myself if I look at and explore the subjects without my kids?

Thanks For everything!

UPDATE: I am needing to pass these basic classes to get my degree, and the only thing that is helping is those elementary school videos and curriculum's. The worst part is I am having sooooo much fun! Also, I am already starting to see the down play of some of me learning before my kids and how it's effecting now.

You see, there were some videos I didn't enjoy because I already knew the stuff on them. As I was watching those videos, I thought to myself, is this how it's going to be with me and my kids. My joy and excitement demolished because I already knew this stuff.

I am just hoping what you guys said will come true. That I will forget most of it and have to relearn it again. All I hope for is I don't forget the big picture of things. I need that to be able to teach them the small stuff.

How long are you going to wait to have kids? Do you have any idea? If it's not long, then maybe you should wait for that part of your degree until later. If it's going to be a while, then you WILL forget it and it will be a nice review/refresher again! Trust me that's what I did when I was in History class. I also kept on learning more and more after I was done with my class!.

shoeshoegirl12
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I know what you mean on your UPDATE... When I enjoy the higher level oh Science  with my 3th grader rather then the lower level ones... but it's still fun. Just not as fun.  And I hate to say it but remember, this is their time to learn, not yours.. you had gotten your grade 12, they didn't, chickide!

CallList
by Welcome Squad on May. 17, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Okay.. After previewing a lot of the home school curriculum's on amazon, I am between a middle school and high school level of Biology. So I think it will help that I will not be exploring the elementary stuff. That will leave some fun when I do have kids.

Also, I am not going to do any fun experiments since we have stupid labs in my college. That will help.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Laurin283
by Welcome Squad on May. 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

This is just my opinion, but homeschooling is about THEM developing a love of learning, not you.  Yes, it's great if you learn some stuff with them, but that's not the reason to homeschool.  If you were teaching a 6 year old to read using dr seuss, then 15 years later have another child, are you going to stop using dr seuss just because you've already read them?  no.  you'd keep using the material that works, and if necessary make it more interesting with extended assignments/reading/etc.  but you don't stop using the good stuff just because you already taught it or read it once.  If that was the case, teachers would use a whole new curriculum each year.

The point is instilling a love of learning in THEM, not you.  You already love to learn.  It will be your chance to teach them how and why to love it as well.

Plus, what if you never do get married or have children?  (Not trying to be a downer, but I believe there is a plan for all of us...and you don't know what it is.)  Are you going to not get your degree because the right guy never came along or it turned out you couldn't have kids?

katinahat
by Testing the waters on May. 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

You can learn something new each time that you cover a subject. Personally, I like educating myself about a subject before I teach it so that my instruction can be as accurate and detailed as possible.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)