Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling while living Overseas?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:09 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 190 Total Views

Hi! We are currently living in Okinawa, Japan  and would like to start homeschooling our daughter next school year. I have a LOT of questions so I am hoping you ladies can help me out! I'm beyond lost and to be honest completely overwhelmed when looking into all of this stuff.

I have looked up to see if there are any laws we have to follow or testing that she has to do and I have found nothing... just that all I really need to do is withdraw her from her current school. We are going to be moving again in 2 years(possibly to Europe somewhere) so I am sure keeping up with all that would be necessary to have on hand for the next place we go? how do I keep up with that?

My daughter will be going into 2nd grade next year but she's all over the place in her learning. At the beginning of 1st grade she tested at early 5th grade reading/comprehension levels, math she seems to be at her normal 1st grade level right now so I am sure she will just need to follow along at her normal grade level for that but the other subjects I have NO clue. What subjects do they need to be taught in 2nd grade? I would also like her to continue with her Japanese language classes as well because she does really well it. Would that be asking too much of her?

She was also dianosed with ADHD last May and we do not medicate(as long as she is being challenged she is very well behaved).Is there any specific homeschool company(preferably Christian based) that would better for a hands on learner?? Any tips for homeschooling a child with ADHD would be great too!

And any other information/advice you have would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks so much!

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I would strongly recommend Winter Promise for your situatiin....its hands-on, Christian, and best of all you can download its e-books so it saves in overseas shipping costs :-)

www.winterpromise.com.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2LilPeasInAPod
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Thanks!

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are military talk to military one source they have lots of info.  I dont know what the rules are if you are not military I do not know where to look for what you need to teach or which laws, American or host country's that you would follow. 

As for curriculum I know of two free online websites that would work for younger children.

http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/Default.aspx

http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/Default.aspx

I also use education.com

somuchlove4U
by Groovy Chick on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I've homeschooled overseas via military. There are no laws, the CO of the base can't even interfere. Past that I don't know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)