Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Michigan Homeschooling Advice/How-To

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 162 Total Views

I have HAD IT with my son's school. He is in the second grade, and I have hated the school district since he was in kindergarten. I even sent him to another district for 1st grade, but couldn't afford to drive him and pick him up anymore so he is back in our district for second grade. There have been many problems since he started 2nd grade, and I have tried to be nice, but I can't take it anymore. Yesterday was the last straw. I feel like my son could be taught better by a group of goldfish.

So, how do I start homeschooling? I looked it up on www.michigan.gov/homeschool. They don't really tell you HOW to go about it though. They say that you can do it, claim religious exemption and that you don't even have to technically notify the school. But HOW do you start? I mean, it says you don't have to register as homeschool, but how do you report that they have even completed a grade...how do they advance?? ETC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Kat0038
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

When I started homeschooling the first thing I did was attend a convention and educate myself on the laws of my state. I also recognized the government funded institutions were not going to help. I'm not certain what your beliefs are but this would be a good place to start: http://conference.homeschoolmichigan.org/. Even though these conferences are strongly faith centered, you will meet experienced homeschool parents that can help you get started.  You will also be able to shop cirriculum.  The second thing I did was hook up with a support group. I personally sat down with my computer and started googling: homeschooling, homeschooling in Georgia (where I live), homeschool support groups, etc.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)