Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Catholic Curriculum (cross post from another group)

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 272 Total Views

I am currently researching different Catholic curriculum. I have a few choices and I would like a little fed back on them. Kolbe Academy, Fisher More (which was once Regina Coeli Academy), Angelicum Academy, and Seton. Any thoughts ?  

Life is simple, We make it but we make it complicated. 

http://tinasblogok.blogspot.com/

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oahoah
by Helping Hands on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I don't use any of those but am fond of Catholic Heritage Curricula (http://www.chcweb.com/).

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the approach you want.

Seton - very rigorous, very college prep, very "traditionally scholastic"; your child will use textbook and worktexts almost exclusively. It is very, very, very Catholic. You never have to worry about running into something contrary to Church teachings, lol. On that note, they use Apologia science (a protestant science program) and I am not fond of that (Apologia is very young earth and most Catholics are NOT).

Catholic Heritage - solid, gentle, sort of a "Catholic Charlotte Mason" approach.

Kolbe - quasi Classical, ignation in methodology. Very solid, very rigorous - textbook heavy and very literature geared (they have a fantastic lit program). Their science programs are some of the best I've seen from a homeschool company!

I haven't use the others you listed. There is one other that you didn't list - Our Lady of Victory (traditional, solid, TLM pre vatican 2 loyal).

On that note, the following choices are accredited (as in, you go with their program and follow their guidelines for turning in work and fully enrolling, they provide grading, feedback, and transcripts that are accepted elsewhere):

Kolbe

OLVS

Seton

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Thanks for the input!! I am really leaning towards Kolbe. 

bugayfamilyof4
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM

This a great post !!!

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Well we are going with Kolbe. Talked to them on the phone today and I am so excited to start this with my son. We are going to have an awesome school year!

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Kolbe is fantastic! I'm considering them next year. Unfortunately I'm not sure how well it would go for my daughter (dyslexic; it's a lit heavy curriculum), but I know I will use them later for my sons.

Quoting TinasTribe:

Well we are going with Kolbe. Talked to them on the phone today and I am so excited to start this with my son. We are going to have an awesome school year!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I think my son who wants to use it has some form of dyslexia. I am not sure of the severity but his spelling is horrible and his handwriting is the same.  I do believe all of my kids have some form of it from very light to sever. My youngest having it the worst. He went to school preschool - 1st and it was the biggest mistake I ever made. He had no business being there. They ruined him. He hates learning. He runs from books, even if i want to read to him. We are struggling at home. This year we deschooled and unschooled, it was really the only choice I had with him.  

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM

If you suspect dyslexia, I might (gently) suggest that you sub out the language arts portion of Kolbe (you can do that with Kolbe) in favor of something geared towards dyslexics. You could still use their handwriting, but for writing I might suggest something Killgallon and for spelling Apples and Pears.

How old is he? How is his reading?

The biggest blessing with Kolbe is that you can sub out as much as you want to (but for high school). If I do use it with my eldest, I would sub out language arts in favor of more dyslexia specific programs.

Quoting TinasTribe:

I think my son who wants to use it has some form of dyslexia. I am not sure of the severity but his spelling is horrible and his handwriting is the same.  I do believe all of my kids have some form of it from very light to sever. My youngest having it the worst. He went to school preschool - 1st and it was the biggest mistake I ever made. He had no business being there. They ruined him. He hates learning. He runs from books, even if i want to read to him. We are struggling at home. This year we deschooled and unschooled, it was really the only choice I had with him.  

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM

My oldest, who will be doing Kolbe seems to great with reading. He has more issues with getting thoughts on paper and writing than anything else. I normally just help him through it. It's my youngest who I really believe has the dyslexia issue. We do no "school" with him. He is in some coop classes, a zoo class, and plays mindcraft often but for him to actually sit and do school , it doesnt happen. I have the Barton method for him but it just sits and collects dust. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)