Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We have decided but have a few questions.

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:38 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 182 Total Views

My DH and I have decided to homeschool our first child. He is due May 27th and I know it is wayyyyyy early but we want to be prepared so we meet state requirements, incorporate education all along, etc.

We have decided to join HSLDA (I think that's right this late at night lol) Our questions come down to two issues.

1) How early did some of you start homeschooling or incorporating education into your child's daily lives?

2) Has anyone heard of the Oak Meadow program? We were introduced to it since it fits with Alabama's guidelines and is online but offers a more parental hands on approach. We loved their curriculum, how it was set up and the fact they want parents taking time to help so the child isn't just online for part of the day.

Thanks so much!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM
We educate from birth by reading together, playing games, coloring, going places, and just living life.

We don't start formal book work until 5-6 yo.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nkpmsjb
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I started the moment they were born, it all starts with just interacting with them, talking to them, singing to them, giving them affection, showing them the world around them and reading to them.  And then when they are older, teaching them new words, learning to color and draw, to pretend, to build, to do things for themselves, and most importantly to play.

I can say the biggest obstacle I've seen, is all of the electronics people use to entertain / babysit their children, not that they don't have their place, just do your research on screen time for young children.

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

You as parents are teachers. You start to give knowledge to your child starting day 1. So that is when you start. I am not sure of your states laws but in PA you do not have to start working with the state until your child is 8. 

Life is simple, We make it but we make it complicated. 

http://tinasblogok.blogspot.com/

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I didnt really consider it homeschooling but we played fun educational games from the time they started talking.  As babies we talked and talked to them.  Then when they started talking we expected them to use thier words.  When they started walking we would continue discussing the things around us including shapes and colors.  They did great. 

At two because we had sang the alphabet and read to them alot and sang number songs, my girls were able to sing the alphabet and count to 5.  My son couldnt though we did the samethings.  He however did not start talking till he was 2.  He was counting stairs at 3.

At 4 is when we start to sit down for a bit at the table.  Mostly circle time, though my current 2 year old does join us because she wants to be a big kid too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)